Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I save an assembly, without updating the components? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

borsht

Mechanical
Oct 9, 2002
US
I am making an assembly file which I am using strictly for evaluating clearances, and need to keep the file for reference. I have three sub assemblies in it, and I am not going to change them, or their components at all. I have started the assembly, placed the three subassemblies in it, and fixed them in place. The subassemblies and components of them are older version files. When I go to save the new assembly I get told Older Version file, and saving will convert the files tot he current version. Is there a way I can override that so the parts wont be updated?

SolidWork Newbie since 2001
-Currently using SW2017

Inventor Newbie since 2019
-Currently using Inventor19

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

#Handleman, I'm not familiar with inserting assemblies as read-only. This is what I've tried: I started an assembly, I opened one existing assembly read only. Then inserted it into empty assembly. I opened a second existing assembly read only, and inserted it as well. When I went to save the new assembly it told me it had changed one of the subassemblies and that it had to save it. I think you are on the right path, but can you detail the steps you would take?

SolidWork Newbie since 2001
-Currently using SW2017

Inventor Newbie since 2019
-Currently using Inventor19

You can also change them to envelope components.
image_zjcsg2.png

ctopher, CSWP
SolidWorks '17
ctophers home
SolidWorks Legion

If you are using these just for measurements or evaluations, why not just save them under a different name and let them get updated- leaving the old files alone.

Then build the assembly with the new files.

Look up "collaboration mode".

I use this all the time. assemblies and drawings automatically open components and references as read-only. there is a toggle to open files for write-access as-needed. Saves all kinds of agony.

borsht,

Are you using any form of PDM? With PDM, you can copy files out of the database read[‑]only. If there is more than one of you in that office, and you are worried about version control, you need[ ]PDM.

Can you use Pack&Go to copy your work into a personal work directory? This will protect the original files, at the expense of leaving file copies all over the place that may or may not have been modified. This is a god awful mess somebody will have to clean up. They may be inclined to fire the idiot responsible. PDM is the better way.

--
JHG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back