Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do I type symbols into Eng-Tips messages? 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

drawoh

Mechanical
Oct 1, 2002
CA
I have some time on my hands, so I have posted a FAQ.

faq1103-2100​

This really applies all over Eng-Tips, but in this forum, we need to show off GD&T symbols. These are available or adequately fakeable with HTML codes.

[⌀] [⏤] [⏥] [○] [⌭] [⌾] [◠] [⌓] [⎳] [↗] [⌰] [⌯] [⌖] [℄] [↧] [⏘] [⌵]​

Enjoy.

--
JHG

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drawoh,

Thanks for this reference. I never really took the time to look up all the symbols, I might start making more consistent use of them going forward. Unfortunately I think as you noted chrome does a less than stellar job displaying some of those, especially the angularity symbol.

One thing you could add is the ability to box your FCF's using the "box" markup tag.

tgml2_cwuyfo.jpg

produces:
[box]⌖[/box][box]⌀0.01Ⓜ[/box][box]A[/box]

chez311,

Not all GD&T symbols are implemented in Unicode. The angularity symbol is a hack, hopefully, good enough to get the point across.[upsidedown]

--
JHG

Glad to help! Unfortunately composite tolerance might be problematic, I don't see a good way to box them with that tag.

Additionally, after some searching I found that an angle symbol for angularity is already implemented in the mathematical unicode list (8736). A delta symbol for dynamic profile per Y14.5-2018 could also be useful (8710).

[∠]
[∆]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back