Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you call out a square counterbore?

Status
Not open for further replies.

apMechE

Mechanical
Aug 5, 2014
US
I have a cast part with a square counterbore on the the backside of a hole so the nut will seat against the face. I am working on getting my GD&T skills up to speed though wondering the best way to define this feature? Can you still use a diameter position tolerance just as you would with a circle counterbore or would it be better to use a profile tolerance?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

drawoh,

Attached is a screenshot. From your statement I am guessing we add a profile tolerance and relate it back to the primary datums along with a parallel tolerance to the opposing face or a perpendicular tolerance to the hole?
square_relief_y0tnwg.jpg

You treat a feature like this in exactly the same way you would treat any other pocket- this one just happens to have a hole through the floor of the pocket.

What's critical for you is which feature drives position- from your description it sounds like the position of the hole is most critical relative the part, and the position of the pocket is critical only in relation to the hole, not to the rest of the part.

That sets up your chain of references. Hole relative to part datums, pocket dims relative to hole.

apMechE,
Unless that pocket is produced just by casting , your machinist is going to hate you , This is going to require a long skinny end mill which will whip around. A bigger bottom radius may help.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back