Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do you decide when a client is too particular? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

photoengineer

Civil/Environmental
Oct 25, 2009
US
I have a client that I've worked with for several years. Recently, they have become far more particular with the reports than they used to. They are concerned whether I use full or left justification; the spacing at the top of the page, and exacting as to how their clients name is written out.

Worse, their standards change for every report and they don't provide the information up front. I'm finding myself revising it 3 or 4 times after original submission to satisfy their copy proofing department.

At what point do you decide they are too much trouble? I've enjoyed doing the work, but having reports kicked back multiple times for no valid reason is getting frustrating.

I'm not able to charge for the revisions. If I try to, it'll be the last time I do work for them.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Some thoughts:

Option 1: If anyone at the customer will listen, try to explain the situation and show data & proof of your position. Request a template that defines formatting etc., and get written acceptance & approval that you will submit documents that match their template. In your next proposal, state that you will submit reports to match their template. Anything else requires extra hours & charges.

Option 2: increase your prices to accommodate what you know will be multiple revisions. This option is similar to advice I was given once about how to do consulting work with GGGGGGargantuan EEEEEEngineering company. My friend's quotes offered X% discount if paid Net 15. GGGGGGEEEEEE company took discount, paid Net 120 no matter what. Friend continued to work with this company, but his new contract rates took into account all the Purchasing Department silliness.

Option 3: state clearly in your proposal that your reports are final when submitted unless data is wrong; re-formatting is not part of the deal.

Option 4: Well, that one is obvious.

TygerDawg
Blue Technik LLC
Virtuoso Robotics Engineering

"At what point do you decide they are too much trouble?"

When you are confident you can earn enough (open to definition of what you consider enough) money elsewhere for the foreseeable future.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Apparently your reports are "pass through" with respect to your client. They might be concerned because the presentation of your report (and possibly theirs) has caused their client to comment on it in a negative way. This reflects on them.

You need to have a clear conversation with them. Explain why their requirements are not reasonable if you are having to revise so many time without up front instruction.

I use Tygerdawg's option 1--if they are particular, they need to provide a template. Up front everyone seems to be OK with that (after the fact it rapidly becomes a problem).

I did one job recently that the contract said "full payment is due on submittal, and any revisions will constitute a new contract". They signed it. They wanted revisions. I showed them the contract and said "pay me and we'll talk about it". They paid and then paid a new contract for revisions.

You never get what you deserve, just what you negotiate.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

I agree; they should and must provide a template. Once the report is submitted, only errors and omissions should be allowed. Reformatting should be charged T&M.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Reformatting should be charged at an extortionate rate, not just T&M.

Since you have a history with this inept outfit, you should be able to reconstruct what each past revision actually cost you. Start there.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

When the client is satisfied with the report, submit a delta cost for report revisions which are out-of-scope to the contract.

You will probably end up sucking it up, but the point will be made.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back