Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you generate a hydrograph?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IGdawg

Civil/Environmental
Nov 23, 2009
US
Hi,
I was wondering what program do you use to generate a hydrograph. I just saw a hydrology report done by someone else and the person used Hydaflow Hydrographs Extension to design a detention basin. But the hydrgraph was manually input, so the engineer did not use Hydraflow to create the hydrograph. The hydrograph looked like a smooth bell curve. I think Hydraflow generates the triangular one. We use Modified Rational Method here in Southern California for smaller projects.

Do you have any idea which program was used, and where can I get it?

Thank you in advance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your local agency may have a specific Unit Hydrograph that is required for your location. You may want to refer to the original drainage report or standard drainage manual. I know that our state, county and city agencies all have unit hydrographs.

Before you go screwing around with software, download this and read it cover to cover:

That should explain where the "bell shaped curve" hydrographs come from.

Then go here:

That software is basic and right from the horse's mouth. After you understand how that stuff works, then move on to HEC-HMS or something similar.

Hydrology, Drainage Analysis, Flood Studies, and Complex Stormwater Litigation for Atlanta and the South East -

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back