Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you guys make a duplicate part/drawing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

arcticcatmatt

Mechanical
Mar 1, 2005
US
Just curious how all of you do it.

Example - You have a rectangle block (a.sldprt) and its drawing (a.slddrw). You want to make another block that is the same as that one but different. You want the new part (b) and new drawing (b) to be automatically generated and linked so you can go into the new (b) part and make your change.

I know, for that example most of us would use a configuration but rule that out.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For parts, usually open drawing and use Save-as and also save references.

Sometimes new clones are made without copying drawing. Making a new copy of source drawing and renaming and re-referencing w/ SW Explorer works.

arcticcatmatt,

I normally use Save-as and, save references, as noted above.

As far as doing it automatically is concerned, that is a matter for your PDM software.

JHG

^ We can't afford a PDM. My mechanical should read automotive :\

I have done the references thing forever. I am liking the pack and go way. Thats pretty slick and user friendly.

Every time I do a major revision to a design with the top-level assembly I do something similar. File > Find References > and select Copy Files--then brows (or type in) the new directory to put the new copy of the files. Gets everything at the top-level drawing/assembly or lower. Great for weeding out file revisions (such as Housing-01, Housing-02, Housing-03, etc.) that remain to clutter the current working directory.

Jeff Mowry
A people who value security over freedom will soon find they have neither.

Open both Part and Drawing on Part A.
Saveas Part A to Part B
Switch to Drawing A and saveas Drawing B

That only works if you don't have the assembly that they are used in because it will replace the part in the assembly.

Another option to switch references in a drawing is to open SW and then goto Open. Select the drawing and click on References. Double click the part that you want to change and then browse to the new part. This is useful for drawings that are really similar and take awhile to setup, ex assembly drawings with assembly steps detailed in notes...etc.

I use driveworksxpress. But I do need to do a little more than just save_as. For example I need many custom properties propagating with new values, there are also a few dimesnions that I want to change.

Each time a need a new part with drawing i just fire up the driveworksxpress wizard - eneter a few values on a form and click go - everything gets re-referenced, dimesnions changed and custom properties populated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back