Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

how do you make a decal?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gatnact

Mechanical
Nov 17, 2006
US
I am trying to make a decal out of a jpeg. and am not successful at all. Does anyone know where I might find a tutorial on how to, or good instruction?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From the help files:

Decals are available only when PhotoWorks is added in.

Click New Decal (PhotoWorks toolbar) or PhotoWorks, Decal.

In the Decals PropertyManager, under Image file path, browse to an image of type .bmp, .gif, .jpg, .png, .rgb, .tga, .tif, .wmf, or .p2d, then click Open.

Jeff Mirisola, CSWP
Certified DriveWorks AE
Dell M90, Core2 Duo
4GB RAM
Nvidia 3500M

I am trying to put it on an assembly and am having a heck of a time. I put it on a part then inserted it into the assembly. It might do the trick but I dont think it is the right way to do it.

I am using 08. The problem I forgot to mention is the decal overlaps two parts and sw wants to put it on both parts if I select both parts or if I select one part it will not let it over lap both parts.

What? I cannot seem to make sense of what you said the problem is. Apply it to the part in the Part file if you want it on a part. If you need it in the assembly for some reason, you just said it would overlap two parts or one part.

Unless you're applying the image to the part directly (such as you would with screening or pad printing) I suggest making another part that acts as a label. The label will have the decal applied to it as a part. Then wherever the label is, you have your decal.

Jeff Mowry
What did you dream? It's all right--we told you what to dream.
--Pink Floyd, Welcome to the Machine

gatnact ... If you need the decal to overlap two parts in an assy, then Theo's method is the best one to use.
Make the label an actual part with the decal applied. The label part can be a transparent surface or extrude, if required.

[cheers]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back