Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you pronounce "Monel"? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Christine74

Mechanical
Oct 8, 2002
US
Not exactly an urgent question, but I've heard the word "monel" pronounced a couple of different ways. Does anyone know which pronunciation is correct?

-Christine

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

While we're on the subject, another freq. mispronounced word is "potable", as in water. The "o" is long, accent on 1st syl.

A bit ‘mo’ Monel®.

“Monel (also called Monell) is a patented Nickel/Copper alloy (66/29) plus significant additions of Cobalt, Manganese, Iron, Silicon, Carbon and Aluminum. It is named after the Canadian metallurgist Ambrose Monell who developed it. (Mr. Monell died in 1921.)” [Mr. Monell may have developed it as President of INCO, but wasn’t the inventor; see below]

”Monel® metal, Monell® metal
any of various silvery corrosion-resistant alloys containing copper (28 per cent), nickel (67 per cent), and smaller quantities of such metals as iron, manganese, and aluminium
[ETYMOLOGY: 20th Century: named after A. Monell (died 1921), president of the International Nickel Co., New York, which introduced the alloys]”
-- Source: The Collins English Dictionary © 2000 HarperCollins Publishers

Monel was originally a “natural alloy” produced by direct reduction of sulfide matte smelted from Sudbury, Ontario ore. A relatively recent sulfide matte composition from an Ontario INCO plant is 26.0% Cu, 50.0 Ni, 0.8 Co, 0.4 Fe and 21.7% S.
--Copper and Nickel Converters, R. E. Johnson, ed., p. 169, AIME (1979).

Monell Metal was ‘invented’ in 1904 by Robert C. Stanley of the Orford Copper Company of New Jersey, an INCO subsidiary (which had amalgamated with several other cos. into INCO in 1902).

Monel® metal was trademarked in 1908 and specified in 1917 by the US Navy for sailors’ ‘dog tags.’ Monel®, INCONEL®, and several other INCO brands were acquired by Special Metals in late 1998.
Mond process
A method of obtaining pure nickel by heating the impure metal in a stream of carbon monoxide at 50-60°C. Volatile nickel carbonyl (Ni(CO)4) is formed, and this can be decomposed at higher temperatures (180°C) to give pure nickel. The method was invented by the German-British chemist Ludwig Mond (1839-1909).
-- A Dictionary of Science, Oxford University Press, © Market House Books Ltd 1999

The Mond Nickel Company oxidized the smelter sulfide matt, extracted copper using sulfuric acid; thereafter the nickel oxide was reduced to nickel carbonyl which decomposed to 99.9% Ni.
--from 100 years of metallurgy, W. H. Dennis, p. 206-208 (1963).

Mond metal was an early, 4% Mn Monel produced by alloying.
The Mond Nickel Company was acquired by INCO in 1929. So, Mond Nickel is clearly not the origin of Monel (Monell).

Conclusion: engineers are extraordinarily loathe to use dictionaries. Perhaps because my 1st degree was in chemistry, I like to check my ‘facts.’ If an engineer makes a mistake, other people may eventually die, but if a chemist makes a mistake, it may blow up in his/her face!
Ken

Of course, if you are from Birmingham in the UK, you may ask for your monel like this;

'ave yow gorreny munnell bah in youwa stock?

for those that want to hear this unlikely sentence for real, please contact me and I will take you through the correct Brummie pronunciation...

Cheers,

Jeannie

I have always pronounced the mon like momma me-a. el was always pronounced as in the adjective usually expressed when seeing its final cost.

Having read this forum thouroughly, and with metalguy's pronunciation now burnt permanently in my mind, I will never again be able to look upon this metal without feeling a slight tinge of lust. :)

Of course I am from Missour-e, or is that Missour-ah?

On a more serious note, I am very curious to learn what factors caused the weekend collapse in Russia of the indoor pool roof, killing 25. As the information becomes available would someone be so kind as to post it on eng-tips. I am etremely concerned about the long term affects of stress corrosion cracking in US indoor pool environments and "if" this played a role here, the acceleration rate necessary to bring down a 3 year old ceiling is a frightening thought.

And when a moan turns into screams, you know you've got complete transformation (of that cute innocent-looking lab. tech. into a er, ah, guess I'd better not say here <g>).

Being from a different country (Texas) than most of you guys/gals.

For the last 48 years, I've only heard Monel prononced one way: moe-nell, long &quot;o&quot; and accent on both syl.

For Potable: pot-able, short &quot;o&quot; accent on the first syl.

NozzleTwister
Houston, Texas

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back