Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How do you remove a label from a baked bean tin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bespokemachines

Industrial
May 22, 2001
GB
I have been asked to quote for an automatic machine to remove the labels off food tins ready for re-labeling. This done when tins arrive in this country with incorrect language or errors on the label.

Does anyone know how labels can be cut consistantly without damaging the tin or contents and without human intervention? Once the label has been cut from top to bottom I will be OK.

Many thanks

John
bespokemachimes.co.uk

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I believe that you could use a vibrating blade on a cross slide. This would be something similar to what a doctor uses to remove a cast. It should pierce through the label but not the can.

I believe that you should first look at what you are actually attempting to beat. It is not so much the label (paper), but the adhesive and the paper. Careful with the vibrating option because blades also wear with vibrations. Also, the vibration option may cause some damage to the can itself and so I do not think your client would be too happy with this option. I would probably look at something like "wet heat" with the rubber cylinder option. Another option with the "wet heat" would be to have the can spin after this operation and then have the can pass by a stationary "blade" which would be almost tangent to the can surface and peal it off. Note that this "blade will be the same size as the height of the can minus the upper and lower "lips". Well, I certainly hope these suggestions may help you in some way in resolving your problem. Have a GREAT day.

Steam jet to knife it off. Spin can and it would clean it too.
Fast drying.
Not enough heat to spoil anything.
Fast, clean.
Sounds good for food...

Compressed air knife.

Water jet to slice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back