Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How do you store and organize accelerometer cables?

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidd31415

Electrical
Nov 23, 2001
US
This may seem like an elementary question but does anyone have a recommendation on how to store and organize accelerometer cables?

I have been winding each cable and placing it in a plastic Ziploc bag. Perhaps this simply is the best method?

I’ve tried plastic ties in the past but even with two ties on each cable I usually end up with a tangled, disorganized mess.

I’ve thought about test lead holders ( ) but the of the cables may make it impracticl. but the of the cables may make it impractical.

Thanks,

David

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not sure what happened to the end of my original post there, I was meant to write "the length of the cables may make it impractical."

Thanks Steve,

I like the accelerometer box idea. Out of curiosity, have you found the cable to effect the calibrations?

David

Well, I just used to dial in the number onto the charge amp, then record the voltage setting on the tape recorder, safe in the knowledge that the whole instrument chain was calibrated.

Can't really comment on the effect of the accelerometer cables, but as charge devices, they must have had an effect (?).

- Steve

For charge coupled microdots -

I used to have one tidy minded technician who would coil them up and cable tie them. Ack. That puts kinks in them, plus you risk damaging the cable when you cut the cable tie off. For the long ones (3m+) I prefer a loose coil, say 300 mm OD, with a single piece of masking tape to hold the coil. For shorter ones I used to just drape them over some coathooks.

Length of cable shouldn't affect the calibration.

That all may sound very crude and nasty, it is as nothing compared with what happens when we instrument a car up. Incidentally everywhere I have worked has ended up building a cable testing box, ie two microdot sockets and a simple bit of logic that checks for continuity and shorts. Not 100%, but better than nothing.

Cheers

Greg Locock

SIG:please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

If you're using ICP type accelerometers then the cables shouldn't make much difference.

We just roll up the cables into a circle about 2-3" in diameter and use the little blue zip tie things PCB provides.

My boss likes to roll them up in a figure 8 so that the cables don't twist.

Back in school I remember our vibes lab just hung them up.

Yeah, the little microdot cables that cost a fortune.

And just to clarify, the little blue zipties from PCB are reusable beaded type, kind of like 7567K31 from Mcmastercarr. No fear of clipping the cables. Once we tie them up, we just throw them in a drawer.

It's interesting that you have a dummy light box, we do the same.

All the leads and connectors are expensive in this business. To leave them dangling off racks, or worse on the floor of test cells, hanging out of car doors is just burning money. Leads should be respected.

- Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back