Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How does a Surveyor Draft a Street Corner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

testrun

Structural
Mar 5, 2003
US
Hello,
My background is as an engineer and drafter, not a surveyor. Therefore:

When a suveyor is hired to plot the building perimeter and curbline of a building located on the corner of a street intersection, how many points along the curb corner does he document?

For this question I'm envisioning a typical street corner, where the curbline is rounded from street to perpendicular street. I believe this is called the curb radius?

I'm trying to understand how the surveyor drafts the curbline in CAD. I know he doesn't collect an infinite amount of points along the curve of the curb corner. I'm therefore wondering if he merely documents the point of tangency on each street, and then a third point somewhere at the seeming max point of the arc? Then in CAD he could connect those three points with an arc that runs through them all.

Sincerely,
Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My first job was with a surveyor about 10 years ago, but I was drawing up Parcel and Tract Maps. I am looking at a very recent survey my company received from said company, and it looks like they shot 7 points and connected the dots using an arc spline for a corner with a R=27'. Up until right now I thought they were using arcs to connect the BCR and ECR shot points going by information from assessors maps.

To add, the intersecting streets are both curved, with one side of the street using an arc and the other street is a spline. I will be giving them a call Monday to clarify.

How come you are asking this question? I generally talk cars with my old boss, but I am sure he would be happy to school me on surveying questions. =)

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

Got caught up with stuff this week, but wanted to follow up. Here is a simple copy and paste I got since my old boss has been pretty busy this week too.

"Top of curb shots are generally taken at angle points, direction changes and points along a curve. Sometimes they are drawn with a radius and sometimes with a spline. Most of the time with a serpentine planter area they will take several shots and draw a spline; otherwise, we would have to take way too many shots."

B+W Engineering and Design
Los Angeles Civil and Structural Engineering

If the surveyor can locate the tangent points of the circular curb line, then only two points would be needed and these would be at the tangent points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back