Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does exactly microorganisms remove pollutants in wastewater?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaaeldin55

Petroleum
Apr 18, 2021
DE
Hello all,

I am very confused about how does microorganisms in activated sludge process remove organic and inorganic pollutants in sewage water treatment. All books and references I have looked up in say the same thing that microorganisms feed on organic matter dissolved or suspended in wastewater and produce stable end products. There is little or no further information about the microbial mechanisms involved in this stabilization/ treatment process. My question rephrased in other words; How does the mud-like stable residue (digested sludge) is produced from biological treatment?

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Feed"

Once ingested by the microbes, the compounds are broken down to simpler molecular or elemental forms. As the compounds are broken down, energy is released. The microbes capture some of that energy to sustain their life and any excess energy is either chemically stored by formation of other compounds, or released to heating their surroundings.

Microbes are very clever.

First, the solids in wastewater treatment occurs during aerobic digestion of the waste by the microbes. The microbes use the oxygen and the sewage as feed and their main byproducts are CO2 and water (and more microbes). Additionally, some contaminates in the wastewater can be volatilized in the parts of the WWTP that are introducing the oxygen (air) (e.g., diffused air flotation).

Additionally, later in the system, the solids are typically placed into a digester where they end up getting into anaerobic conditions once they consume the available oxygen. Methane and other gasses (e.g., hydrogen sulfide) are typically produced during the consumption of the remaining solids (and some of the other microbes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back