Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does SAE J498b relate to ANSI B92.1 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

matttheniceguy

Mechanical
Jun 21, 2011
CA
I am working with one supplier to modify their pump to have a male spline through drive shaft out the back of it, and another supplier to make a gearbox that will be driven by this spline.

The pump supplier has specified the spline as an "SAE J498b 9 tooth".

I can find very little about SAE J498b, aside from a few other pumps online that have this drive, and some list that they are also compatible with ANSI B92.1

From what I can see on IHS the SAE standard is cancelled. Can anyone provide any further information about this standard and how it relates to ANSI B92.1?

Does SAE J498b 9T actually fulley specify a spline in the SAE standard? By ANSI I would think you would also have to list the spline pitch and pressure angle.

Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Matt,
SAE J498 did not have the total range of spline pitches that ANSI B92.1 did. Also the internal only had one size the external was class1 & class2, B92.1-19xx had class 4,5,6 & 7 for both internal & external.

SAE was only 30°PA, B92.1-19xx also covered 37½° & 45° splines, formerly 45°, were refered as "Serrations".

So you need type of spline, (Flat Root Side Fit), (Flat Root Major Fit) or (Fillet Root Side Fit), the (spline pitch), eg (20/40 DP), PA= 30°, 9 tooth, tooth sizes for Class 1 or Class 2 on the external member, the spec lists these actuals, and machining allowances & form & lead tolerancing.

Cheers,

matttheniceguy,

Commercial hydraulic pumps (in the US) generally have standardized flange/shaft configurations. The pump shafts with a 9T, 30deg PA involute male spline are SAE A or AA. The AA size shaft is a 9T, 20/40 DP spline, and the A size shaft is a 9T, 16/32 DP spline. ANSI B92.1 will give you the dimensions you need for a mating spline. ANSI B92.1 splines are designed with tooth thickness and space width tolerances to allow a fit between mating parts with different classes.

Your splines should be a fillet root, side fit type, because the interface is designed to be radially located by a shoulder on the pump flange, and not by the spline itself. The SAE standard pump flange spline fits are designed to be very loose to avoid any interference between the mating parts of the spline connection, which might lead to undesirable radial bearing loads on the pump shaft.

The SAE pump flange spec splines are very conservative with regards to torque capacity and fatigue life, since they are intended for use with low tolerance class fits and commercial grade materials/finishes.

Hope that helps.
Terry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back