Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How does SE calculate the from profile bend location ? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

fredericmenage

Mechanical
Dec 24, 2003
CA
Hi,

When creating a bend with the bend command, you draw a bend line, then with the 3rd step, you can choose the bend location.

I understand 3 out of the 5 choices : matl inside, matl outside and from profile with the arrow pointing towards the folded side (the bend starts at the line)

But I don't understand the other 2 choices with the arrows pointing both ways or away from the folded side... (see image). Depending on NF, R and THK I get results
that differ a bit or a lot from matl inside and matl outside.

Does anybody know what formula or geometric method SE uses to locate the bend with these two options?

Thanks.

Fred

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

When the arrows are pointing both ways is it not for when the profile is exactly in the middle of the bend? I mean as if the blade of the press would contact exactly there when you manufacture.

That what I'm thinking but I've never checked that.

Patrick

Try to unbend the bend feature, then you will get the answer - with both-way arrow the profile is at the middle of bend region, and away from the folded side the profile matchs the mold line between bend face and movable web face.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back