Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How - Flat Pattern Export - Edges Only

Status
Not open for further replies.

bri011

Electrical
Sep 11, 2006
US
I've searched for an answer to this and come up with nothing.

When I send files to my waterjet (typically a flat pattern drawing view), I delete all other views and notes from the drawing, and turn off the sheet format visibility, and hide the bend lines. I'm left with just the flat pattern model edges--which is all that I want.

There's got to be an easier way that won't require me to do all of that. The CNC software is capable of selecting specific layers or colors to use for cutting, but I can't seem to save the file in any way that leaves the flat pattern in a unique layer or color. I've tried mapping, but there's no option to map the flat pattern. I've tried specific colors for the flat pattern (Sheet Metal - Model Edges) but that color doesn't make it into the DXF.

Is there something simple that I'm missing?

Or, is there a VBA macro that helps w/ this?

I look forward to your responses. Thanks,

Brian

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How about something as simple as a separate sheet (with no sheet format) that contains only the flat pattern? I used to have to do this when making drawings our sheet metal supplier used for fabrication. I would export this sheet of my drawing to a DXF which was then used by the laser programmer.

I can't because of the way I print drawings. I have a macro that batch prints, and it would print those extra pages as well.

We create ours in a separate drawing file...so we have two drawing files...the detail drawing and the flat drawing that just contains one flat view that is 1:1. Yu can then create the mapping file and tell it to export model edges to a specific layer.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.1 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.1 on WinXP SP2

We do the same as Gildashard, but have to export as DXF, tangent lines removed.

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back