Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How good is brass compression fitting in vacuum?

Status
Not open for further replies.

knowlittle

Materials
Jul 26, 2007
US
BACKGROUND

I need to maintain a metal plate at 25 plus minus 0.5 deg C. The plate is 6 x 150 x 600 mm (1/4 x 6 x 24 in). I plan to braze a copper tubing to the place and flow water through the tubing. The setup sits inside a vacuum chamber, 10e-5 torr, not a high vacuum.

QUESTION:

The soft copper tube will be soldered to a brass socket fitting. How tight is brass socket fitting? Good enough to be used in vacuum?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

OFHC Copper is used all over the place. We have He Mass Spectrophotometer's that use Cu gaskets and some brass parts.
I can't see where a brass fitting wouldn't be equivalent to the Cu tubing being used.
I have pulled some pretty high vacuum on Cu tubing for He leak testing and haven't had any problem with either brass or Cu fittings

Compression fitting quality varies among manufacturers. Some of my clients permit knockoffs for their standard transmitter installations and only the brand name for their analyzers. Don't even consider hardware store fittings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back