Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How graduate Get into engineering 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sughew

Mechanical
Apr 30, 2005
GB
I have recently graduated in Mechanical Eng'g and I am looking for 'that' job.

All the blue-chip graduate jobs have been allocated, and I thus would have to wait until the next recruitment process, held next year. Further, I cannot find a job in engineering for a grduate. There ARE thousands of jobs but ones that need afew years experience.

Mys question is: How can I break into engineering and gain knowledge and experience without working for the big companies. For example, I like stress analysis. How would I break into this branch?

I am grateful for your comments
James

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

sughew, this is an international forum. It would really help if you told us where you are (country and state).

-The future's so bright I gotta wear shades!

I also liked stress analysis, in my last year at the Uni I played around with Ansys etc..

I ended up in maintenance, and don't regret a moment. Like a mechanical engineer you (must) have a broad view. Just because you are Engineer by title doesn't mean you have to design things.

Sometime ago I "designed" Standard Operating Procedures and HSE (Health, Safety, Environment) Instructions

Sorry that this post doesn't help the OP but it might help others ...

The best way to get into an engineering job in the UK is to get sponsored through your degree. It gives you 12 months (plus at least two Summers') worth of experience. If you graduate well, the (engineering) world is then your oyster.

I struggle with the idea that all the jobs are gone. To land my first job in the UK I wrote to EVERY vehicle manufacturer and aircraft manufacturer and most of the big first tier suppliers - have you done that?

However, if you are convinced that you can't get an engineering job then:

1) get a free FE program. Learn to use it.

2) Approach each local engineering company, asking if they have any stress/stiffness problems they'd like solved, for free.

3) Do some, build a portfolio.

4) Start charging, or approach a large company with your portfolio.

Alternatively, start as a contract CAD guy and move into FEA.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back