Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How hard is it to get an entry-level chemical engineering position?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdalcin

Chemical
Aug 16, 2015
US
I came from a non-traditional background. And I was curious if any chemical engineers, experienced in the field, would be able to offer any advice. How can I go about getting an entry-level job in chemical engineering and how likely is it?

A little bit on my background. I am a graduate of MIT with a bachelor's in neuroscience and minor in chemistry. I switched fields to chemical engineering and am currently undertaking my final year of a master's degree at the University of Maryland: College Park. My cumulative GPA is 3.46/4.00. I have a concentration in mechanical engineering, and I should have a paper in biomaterials published by the end of the academic year. I have no industry experience. Nor do I know how to go about getting an internship.

What sectors are my best bet for hiring? Should I focus on biochemical/biomedical engineering? Am I still eligible for more traditional chemical engineering occupations such as oil and gas? Although my background does not emphasize petroleum engineering, can the versatility of my background still have me hired at a great company like Schlumberger? Will companies scoff at my non-traditional background (i.e only 2 years of hardcore chemical engineering courses)? Or can I use it to my benefit? When are the best times to apply (as I hear hiring seasons are very cyclical)?

And also, do I need an internship to vastly increase the competiveness of my application? My time in lab is sort of like a full-time job. I often have to balance that with the rigors of schoolwork. And my research should lead to industrial applications (albeit in materials).

But if I do need an internship, what can I do to go about getting one say for January or next summer? Will I look over or underqualified in my resume?

And finally, what are the most important things that I can do separate myself from the thousands of other qualified candidates applying to chemical engineering positions? I am really invested in becoming an engineer.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

As one of your presidents asked a few years ago , " Ask not what your country can do for you , ask what can I do for my country" Ask yourself what do you offer a potential employer that conventional engineering graduates cannot. My impression is very little. You have not completed a conventional four year engineering program and IMO, that puts right at the back of the list. You don't seem to know what you want other than a high starting salary, and that is a big red flag for any employer. You seem to have chemical engineering and petroleum engineering totally confused in your mind. Neuroscience?????? And that relates to engineering exactly how?? You seem to have bamboozled some administrators in academia to allow you to transfer programs without really thinking out where you are going. I cant see much success for you over the next few years unless you refocus dramatically. Don't you realize that $43 oil has caused all oil companies, including the service sector, to pull their horns. If there was 1% unemployment in the sector , you might stand a chance , but its likely to be decades before those circumstances arise again.

I think focusing on biomedical/biochemical is your best bet. It makes your path seem reasonable. If you pursue other areas, your path seems rather random to me.

Good luck,
Latexman

Technically, the glass is always full - 1/2 air and 1/2 water.

@miningman Well yes, I completely agree. I am a nontraditional candidate, and I realize that my battle is mostly uphill. No one said it would be easy, but engineering is a passion of mine and, one of which, I do quite well in. I am looking for solid advice to forge a chemical engineering career despite my non-traditional background.
@Latexman Thank you for your advice.

No internship can possibly make you look overqualified, particularly if you are missing the normal BSChE coursework.

TTFN
faq731-376
Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back