Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How is SW07 stability?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I have been using SWx 2007 SP2.0 for about a month with no adverse affects. If you have all the supported hardware and use the correct video driver then you should be as stable as SWx 2006 SP5.0.

This is the best of the best that SWx has released. Lets see in SWx 2005 it was Curve on Surface, SWx 2006 it was Foreshortened Radius Dimension and SWx 2007 it's Enhanced Sheet Metal Tools. What's next?

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SWx 2007 SP 2.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

(In reference to David Beckham) "He can't kick with his left foot, he can't tackle, he can't head the ball and he doesn't score many goals. Apart from that, he'

I would not go as far as very stable and reliable. SW still has not been able to fix the "failed to save" problem that has been around since at least SW2003 and large assemblies are still a crap shoot too.

SA

A computer rebooting is typically hardware related. Could be the update pegged out the cpu and loaded the system such that the hardware causing the problem surfaced. Memory and power supply are often the culprits but I wouldn't rule out the video card.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.0 on WinXP SP2

I think "Failed to save" is a network issue.....I guess it could still be a Solidworks problem in that they aren't handling the situation with the best error message. I've only seen the error once myself when I tried to save an assembly over a VPN network connection which was extremely slow. Myabe some intermitent data loss to the network is causing Solidworks to fail.

Jason

UG NX2.02.2 on Win2000 SP3
SolidWorks 2006 SP5.0 on WinXP SP2
SolidWorks 2007 SP2.0 on WinXP SP2

I have only seen the "failed to save" when a user is working off the network. So IMO its not a SW issue but rather a network issue. SW doesn't recommend working off the network. So again you can't blame that one on SW IMO, because users should be working locally.

I agree with SolidAir's first comment:

Some see less, some see more stability. Depends on your system and/or how you install it.

But most of hte users I have talked with are seeing more stability on the 32-bit systems at about 95% of them. the other 5% are usually having OE error (operator error)

64-bit has had a little more trouble, but we don't have a lot of people using 64-bit yet. I get a call about every 3-4 weeks on a stability issue on 64-bit.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Janson and Scott,

Well then I am your example on a non-network "failed to save" error. Although the user's computer was connected to the network, all the files being used were saved on the local hard drive.

SA

As I originally stated and seconded by Scott:

It is the same as always. Some see less, some see more stability. Depends on your system and/or how you install it.

And that is my last comment on the subject in this thread.

SA

This is what I wrote in a similar (failed to save) thread on the SW forums:

Do any of you with the problem run network switches with trafic monitoring? If so, get the collisions and error reports for your pc and the server, so you can check if it is not a hardware problem.
(for example, the 3COM 42xx series switches save this info for 48 hours, accessible through a web interface).

Stefan Hamminga
EngIT Solutions
CSWP/Mechanical designer

Even Top notch Networks will get a failed to save sometimes, because its loses its connection with the temp file it has to continually write across the network... even good networks still get this. If you work locally do you still get this error? That is the best way to determine if its your network or not.

SolidAir - I am sure you ahve contacted your VAR. Probably would be helpful if you haven't to capture it on a SW RX and send it in.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
faq731-376

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back