Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HOW IS THIS PART MADE

Status
Not open for further replies.

valmeidan

Aerospace
Dec 13, 2011
CA
So I am designing a check valve for a triclamp, and was looking at designing something pretty much just like the pic except without the o-ring as the triclamp has a gasket. My question is how they make the swing plate? Is it two pieces, a pin and a plate welded, or is this one stamped part and the pin part is rounded after? How I have it currently is using a 2mm pin stainless with a plate thats welded together and ground smooth, but I have not actually made it yet...best approach?

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=161b120d-fb52-4e18-99be-42c1412471d4&file=Single-Plate-Wafer-Check-Valve.jpg
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

On a cheap one it might be stamped and not rounded - the holes accepting the pin would be sized & positioned to compensate. Would need some kind of 'deburring' though to avoid it snagging.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

The pin will usually be a close-fit smooth finish into the two end bearings, and a different fit and finish across the middle part of the hinge. Probably a different metal as well (round stock rather than cast or forged metal as the rest of the wafer and valve body). Correction: Cast with the flapper, then machined round. Could be welded, but it doesn't look like that. If I had to do it, I'd a round tool like a die for screw threads, but to cut it smooth all around the outside.

Assembly is by threading the two bearings onto the pins.. Then those three parts (maybe four if there is a bushing in the flapper) are screwed into the valve body.

"If the pin is 2mm in dia, why do you need a lifting eye, and where do you get one that small?"

[link]http://cdn.mbeans2.com/images/items/full/bruder/BRUDER-man-crane-truck-02754-f.jpg[/url]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back