Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How Long Does Before Being Killed? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

coloradog1

Mining
Apr 24, 2007
US
Most people know that current determines how damaging getting shocked can be. A question was recently asked which I do not know the answer to. The question is, how long does the current have to exist before someone sees the effects.

For example, 100 to 200 mA can be fatal. But how long does this current have to pass through the body? What if it exists for only 1-2 cycles?

I believe a GFCI trips in less than 2 cyles. Since this device protects people, it would seem that 2 cycles of 100mA may not kill someone.

Any help is appreciated. I would also appreciate any references that can be provided.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IEEE Std 8-2000, IEEE Guide for Safety in AC Substation Grounding give a duration formula for allowable body current:

I[sub]B[/sub] = 0.116/sqrt(t[sub]s[/sub])

for a 50 kg body weight

I[sub]B[/sub] in amps, shock duration t[sub]s[/sub] in seconds

Lots of other factors such as the path it takes through the body are (were?) believed to be significant. For example a current passing hand to shoulder on one arm is less likely to be fatal that one passing hand to hand across the torso. How does the equation accomodate those variables, or is it an equation for a specific case? I hadn't realised there even was an equation - thanks for the info.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

If you google Charles Dalziel, you'll find a lot of info on this topic. He was a professor who did a fair amount of experimentation with animals and with some of his students.

The IEE regs for LV portable equipment states 400ms maximum dissconect time. For the simple reason that it is less than the time span of a heart beat, if the heart is held in shock for a time greater than a heart beat it will most likely go into a cardiac arrest.
Bit of hard luck if you have just done a 500m sprint and then touch a live conductor. So never rush to job is my advice.

Keith,

30mA in the UK, 10mA in high risk areas.

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

Any specific answer to your question depends on the person being shocked. A persons skin does have a relatively high resistance, but once the skin breaks down (burns away) the resistance drops dramatically.

2 cycles @ 100 - 200mA probably wouldn't be fatal. But again, depends on the indivule.

Also, sweaty skin can make a huge difference in the amount of time it takes for the outer skin to break down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back