Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How lubrication takes place in muff coupling ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanjv9473

Marine/Ocean
Jul 1, 2021
IN
How lubrication takes place in muff coupling ?

I think this is used on ship. Is it right ?
When the coupling is in the position the outer sleeve is hydraulically driven on the inner sleeve.For that ,oil is supplied at 200 bar oil at two points for forced lubrication and at 300 bar oil for driving the outer sleeve.

Muff coupling

When the outer sleeve reaches at required position the forced lubrication pressure is released and drained.Now hoses are disconnected and plugs are fitted.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is your question how the coupling is lubricated once it has been "made" and the oil supply removed?

Question in return: Why would you need to lubricate it? It's a rigid coupling, so you shouldn't expect any relative movement between its component parts in service.

A.

Muff coupling don't require are lubrication.

as for the rest of the question -- it's a mystery. - maybe it's a procedure using hydraulics to press for assembly - " When the outer sleeve reaches at required position the forced lubrication pressure is released and drained. Now hoses are disconnected and plugs are fitted."

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

I have been doing shaft alignments and working with a lot of different couplings over many years, but I have never heard of a "Muff" couopling. It appears to be a slang term for rigid sleeve coupling. typically the sleeve has a shrink fit on shafts. The two primary methods for installation are heating orpressure to expand the sleeve. Brute force is only done on Tug Boats![nosmiley]

Walt

I need to correct myself in the brute force method, the expansion fluid is still used but the coupling is run together using the retainer plate and impact tools instead of the push jack. Instead of pushing with a prescribed force the coupling is pushed to a specific distance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back