Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How many knew the Tab key hides components?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorBlimeyLimey

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2003
CA
After 11 years of using SW, I've just discovered that the Tab key can be used to hide components.

Either select or even just hover the cursor over a part and hit the Tab key, and the part is hidden. Shift Tab combination will show the part.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yeah they took that great shortcut button from Their 3dVia Composer originally made by Seemage
Which had it in 2008 release of 3dVia Composer.
Tab could be used like right button in select other to temporarily remove items from screen. or return using Shift+Click which Select Other can also do. I wish that Select Other could be hotkeyed. H likewise was used to hide objects permanently.

Slowly but surely they'll have all sorts of functionality shared between SolidWorks, 3dVia Composer, Catia.

If you haven't seen it yet I'm awaiting SolidWorks getting 3dVia's Digger Tool.
Check out the following video demo of it.
The X-ray and SectionPlaneTool options are frigging Awesome. [bigsmile]

Michael

"It's not the size of the Forum that matters, It's the Quality of the Posts"

Michael Cole
Boston, MA
CSWP, CSWI, CSWTS
Follow me on !w¡#$%
@ TrajPar - @ Shweep
= ProE = SolidWorks

If you have a filter selected, for example filter faces, the tab key doesn't hide the component. CBL, thanks for bringing this up. I'd not have found it without a fat-finger error.

regards, Diego

That appears to be a 'hard-coded' function ... or at least a method of disabling that function hasn't been posted yet. SW have remained silent about it.

Workaround is to train your self to press the Ctrl key before touching the Tab key. You have to do that anyway when "flipping" through different documents in SW, & different apps in Windows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back