Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

HOW MUCH CURING CHEMICAL? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zabit

Civil/Environmental
Mar 23, 2007
TR
For preventing concrete from loosing its moist due to wind and hot weather, curing chemicals can be used especialy for concrete pavements. The chemical material is usualy sprayed on top of the pavement and it works forming a very thin sealent, thus cutting the relation between the pavement and the air.
Here is my question: The firms that produce those chemicals generally suggest an amount of 150-200 grams per metersquare. Does anybody have any information about the minimum amount of these curing chemicals? Is the amount that is given by the producers seemed to be realistic or some marketing strategy has weight?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My specs say AASHTO M 148, Type 1 or Type 2 with two applications for a total coverage of 150 square feet per gallon.

AASHTO says minimum of 200 square feet per gallon

I would stick to this rate and you should have good results.

Use a colored curing compound. When the color is shown, it's enough. However, it's a flat surface and very amenable to water curing. Water Cure is 100% Effective where Curing Compounds are only approved based on their %effectiveness as compared with a "Water Cure". Most Contractors will B&M about water curing, I'm not one of them.
Good Luck,
Rick Hassett, P.E.

ASC-308.1
3.3—Execution
3.3.1 Apply liquid membrane-forming compounds uniformly
and at the rate recommended by the manufacturer,
but at a rate as tested using ASTM C 309.

The manufacturer recommends the rate of application for the material that was used to meet the standard.

In general you can't put too much curing compound on the surface. You can waste it by putting too much and it running off, but you will not damage the concrete by putting extra. Our specs call for "... at a minumum rate of 150 square feet per gallon or as otherwise required to completely cover the concrete surface."

The keys are to get complete coverage and to install the compound as soon as possible.

From personal observations on slip formed concrete pavement where curing compound was used in very very hot weather (40deg plus and very humid) - and lots of plastic shrinkage cracks formed - I would not rely on it totally. I strongly recommend using water curing as a back-up - it is good cheap insurance. Our contractor who did this had, basically, no plastic shrinkage cracks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back