Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How much force is generated from abdomen/hip flexors during a hanging leg raise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trooper149

Bioengineer
Apr 12, 2020
GB
Hi all, not exactly a scientist in this field, just an enthusiast with a question.

As described above, in short I am trying to work out how much force is exerted by the abdomen and hip flexors during a single rep of the hanging leg raise, for the tempo of 1.5s up and .5 seconds down.

I have been looking up leverage, torque, fulcrums, etc and while I think I have the right forumula, I would greatly appreciate second perspectives.

With this said, here are some figures:
-the total weight of the lower body (load) to be lifted is 36.4kg
-the total length of the lower body (loading arm) is 1.15m
-the abdomen connects into the loading arm at .1m
-when performing the leg raise, we are lifting from a dead hang position (0 degrees) to a right angle (90 degrees
-the arc of movement is 1.8m

With all this said, the equation I have followed is: (load to be lifted X by loading arm length X by length of arc)

36.4kg X 1.15m X 1.8m = 75.6NW/KG (75.6kg of force I think?)

I have attached a file with my excel equation in this post.

My reason for asking is there is plenty of information and knowledge available on basic weightlifting and application of volume, however the information surrounding body weight training is a lot more vague and is far more dependent on levers. With this said, I would really like to learn the application of levers in bodyweight training and how much force is produced by muscles during certain exercises.

Cheers and Happy Easter

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=0c60cb33-052a-45f7-9781-7b94b370759f&file=Formula.xlsx
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back