Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How much is a CSWP worth? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

TCThornberry

Mechanical
Apr 2, 2008
US
I only have about 20 months of on job experience that is about 3200+ hours. But have used Solidworks for 3.5 years:

At home with student and evaluation editions.
At school.
And on the job.

I am in the process of trying to get my CSWP to find a job. How much is a CSWP worth in the eyes of a future employer? Or what will future employers give me credit for having a CSWP? I already have the CSWA. Being only almost 2 years in this field, a bad economy and dont have the 3, 5 or 7 years experience puts me down. What elese can I do to better myself? Please give me your thoughts on this matter and it will greatly apprciated.
I have uploaded my resume if you also have any suggestions of what I could put in there that would be helpfull too.

T.C.Thornberry
Mechanical Designer/Drafter

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, It's only worth a little to those that understand any importance of 3D modeling.
There are still lots of employers that don't understand 3D modeling and don't care if you are certified or not.
On the other hand, any certification is a plus to some managers because it shows you are capable of learning.
It does not hurt you to have it, it can only help.

Chris
SolidWorks 09 SP4.1
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

I'm not really sure the value of the CSWP. There's a lot that it doesn't cover. Even the older "hard" test doesn't really establish knowledge of any skills that an employer might appreciate beyond just being able to use the software at a minimal level.

The other problem is that the current test is automated, and there's the presumption that any advanced certification will also be automated. I'm not sure of the value of such a test with a tool that is as powerful as SolidWorks. Imagine taking a college course on essay writing where the final is nothing more than a multiple choice test with questions like "which sentence uses the best words?"

Matt Lorono
Lorono's SolidWorks Resources & SolidWorks Legion

I don't hire employees, but I screen potential contractors who might help out with design/CAD work when needed. Do I ask for anyone's certification/degree/whatever? No. I'm not in the position to take anyone else's word on the competence of someone else. After all, my business depends on competence.

So what to do? I do what others do when screening me for a particular gig. I ask for a portfolio or other sorts of work samples. Someone claims to be an expert at SolidWorks? Great. Send me a couple of models that prove it. I can look through the feature tree and see if it's a convoluted mess or whether it's sound. The proof is in the model, not in the certification.

If you're seeking to be hired as a cog in a large, anonymous collection of cogs, these sorts of certifications might get you in the door. Nobody will ask to see your previous work, and you'll likely be wearing a tie to the interview. Not my cup of tea, but it works well for many people.

(By the way, this is coming from someone who hasn't attempted the CSWP tests. Anyone inquiring about my work sees my work.)

Jeff Mowry
A people governed by fear cannot value freedom.

It can only help.

If I am looking to fill a SW position, I will definitely bring in someone with a CSWP for an interview. I have interviewed many people that claim to be proficient in SW and are horrible. At least the CSWP shows you know the very basics. It gives you a slight edge if everything else is equal.

Consider it similar to a degree from a good college. The degree may help get you an interview, but doesn't mean you are actually a good engineer.

The CSWP says that you understand the basics of SW. It doesn't mean you can properly dimension a drawing. Someone may know SW inside and out, yet the parts they design can't be manufactured.

Also, I wouldn't expect it to bring you a higher salary. It's not that much of a bargaining chip.

Don't expect it to change your life, but it is a good notch in your belt.

I have yet to be asked to show my degree in a job interview or afterwards when I am working for that company. I do believe that showing that you can still learn or at least are willing to learn is always a plus. Certification is more for yourself than for others. A long list proficiencies shows that you are moving with the trends. For my industry, lighting, do you think that someone would be hired based on the fact they did a course in halogens in 1960 or someone who went to three or four LEDs seminars in the last six months. Lighting is a very progressive industry and applicants into it need to demonstrate continuous improvement.
Money wise, it will get you a job but your bosses will soon find out how much it's worth once you are pushing out designs for them.

drawn to design, designed to draw

Having the CSWP as someone put above "is just a knotch in your belt" is true, but I think most people have hit the nail on the head on what's it worth. It helps get you in the door at the very least or to read your resume. For myself when the CSWP first came out, I was the 2nd person in Indiana to get certified. Then it helped far more than it does today. What keeps me valuable is my ability to keep up with the changing revisions of SW as well as spending 7 years of my life working for 2 difference VAR's. We were required to get the CSWST cert every 2 years. That is double everything on CSWP test plus all the modeling from the old 8 hour test. Plus we were incouraged to get more certs. Presently I am going for the Surfacing Cert that is offered since I am back being a user once more.

I don't expect the certs that I get to hand me a job, but they should let me in the door, but with my background and the large amount of experience I have had should get me a job and because I can do engineering and design work. :)

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

T.C.Thornberry,
Check out "How to Improve Myself to Get Ahead in My Work Forum" here on forum.

Standing
SolidWorks Pro 2009 x64, SP3.0, PDMWorks Workgroup, SolidWorks BOM,
HP xw8600, 64-bit Windows Vista Business, Service Pack 1
Intel Xeon CPU, 3.00 GHz, 16 GB RAM, Virtual memory 166682 MB, nVidia Quadro FX 4600

I also worked with SW with home evaluation versions, during school, internship, and some short-term jobs. However, my current job does not use SW. However, I've always been good with CAD and found it fairly intuitive, and have used CadKey, Alibre, Pro-E, SW, and AutoCad (to various extents) and picked them up quickly. So, I have considered getting my CSWP so if I am looking for a job, I have something to back-up my skills. Otherwise I think my resume looks like I did an internet search on some CAD programs and wrote that I knew how to use them.

I think the CSWP may not mean much if somebody in HR is screening the resume (writing out "Certified SolidWorks Pro" might help!), but will be benefitial if a technical person is comparing only a few resumes.

Luckily, I'm not in the position of looking for new employment, so I will probably just keep pushing my current employer to switch to SW and pay for training and certifications ;)

-- MechEng2005

I've seen many people claim competency, but not really understand anything about the software or design intent.

We've gone to a system of giving a "simple" Solidworks test when applicants interview. The part is not super complex, but it has multiple cut directions, symetry, regular thru holes, counterbores and countersinks.

I know not everyone is greased lightning, but we have a good grasp on how long it should take someone to do make the part from scratch with no errors and a well laid out feature tree. Takes me about 5min, I think it takes our slowest guy 20min, so if it takes someone 40min they're way off.

Even with a CSWP there is so much to learn about good design practice. That and the new test was way too easy.

James Spisich
Design Engineer, CSWP

I was the first non-VAR CSWP in Indiana. I can count the inquiries I have gotten on one finger. That is for being a CSWP for 9+ years.

First of all, since SW changes the interface every year, that part of the CSWP is useless. User interface is a major part of the test. So that makes the CSWP 60% useless after a year.

It might be a measure of one's ability to take a test.

I would look at stick time, feature tree organization and speed.

One interesting thing I have picked up over the years is the sense that those that take the Modeling Challenge at SWW have a wide spread in time to complete. There are a few, maybe 5% or less, at the top of the heap (5-10 minutes) and maybe 50% that finish in the time allotted. That leave a huge number that don't finish or finish wrong. But being able to whip out a model, even geometrically correct, doesn't necessarily make them good in a company setting because it doesn't test the ability to build models to standards necessary for a team to utilize.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

kellnerp,

That is a very good idea to do the SW Modeling challenge, I will look into that. But it is hard cause all I have is just teh evalution edtion of 2009 and it is just about to expire. I dont have $5000 to go spend on SW2010.

MechEng2005,

I am trying to use other programs but how do u get hired from some company uses the software you dont know how to use? And you cant really learn it cause u dont either have the money or the rainning avalible to you? I might learn Alibre cause it is free, but Pro-E and some of the higher end CAD software comes with a cost. I am also pretty well versed in my learning ability in CAD. Just employers dont know that until they interview me.

All,

Thank you all for replying to this. It gives me alot of food for thought. I have one more test to take to get my CSWP and will in the next few days. But thank you all.

T.C.Thornberry
Mechanical Designer/Drafter

Thornberry,

Well, I did manage to get a job using a CAD package I had some, but not much experience in through networking. Without that "bump", who knows if I would have gotten in...

Otherwise I think the best option is to check local colleges. Often they will have classes for different software packages. It might still cost some, but if you can audit the class (attend without getting a formal grade), it is often cheaper and more reasonable. And once you enroll in the class, you often have access to the computer labs with the software for your own self-paced learning. So if you take a "basics" class, if you can teach yourself and play with the software, you can get a lot more than the "basics" out of the class.

-- MechEng2005

TCThornberry,

When trying to get hired, I'd emphasize your design skills/experience over your exposure to a particular CAD package. You say you're well versed in CAD learning ability; highlight that and give examples.

I just hired someone who had minimal experience with SWX but had experience relevant to what I needed. If someone can demonstrate (for example) that they can design a moldable/toolable plastic part and specify the correct material for the application, that is significantly more important to me than Solidworks fluency.

Incidentally, if you're looking for a job, pay attention to your communication skills.

how do u get hired

will get you round-filed very quickly by a lot of hiring managers (myself included, and I'm not that old).

I was selected on my current job because I was CSWST(Support Technician). I know that because after my Interview they asked for the certificate which I didn't have as I did my test when working for VAR, but I managed to get a copy from VAR later.

Anyhow, in my case certification worked in the eyes of a company who did not have any experience in SolidWorks(they just bought it at that time).

I was bit iffy about putting CSWST on my resume but it helped, So havinI g a certification can do no harm but can benefit sometimes, you just dont know when................

I to was hired recently because of my Solidworks experience and because I worked for a VAR that supported my current employer. Having my CSWP, and CSWST helped, but because they knew who I was and how much I helped them was a plus.

Their concern was the fact I had not had any Tooling/Machine design experience. Since I started I have shown that I can do it, just I have a lot to learn. They are basically reteaching me what I was taught in College since I have not used it since then.

Having the Certs are good to have, they can't hurt, but showing what you know or doing some good networking is always are plus. I think working for a VAR is a plus if you are new to Solidworks or even a moderate user. You get a lot of experience from all areas of the software and might find something your better at than just Solidworks.

Regards,

Scott Baugh, CSWP [pc2]
"If it's not broke, Don't fix it!"
faq731-376

Mr. Thornberry,

The SW modeling challenge is given at SolidWorks World. You don't get any kind of certificate and your prospective employer would have to take your word for it.

I tend to agree that an employer would probably put more weight on experience or knowledge than a particular software package.

CSWP, BSSE

"Node news is good news."

Well as an eng manager it is worth SOMETHING to me. I'm a former CATIA v4 jockey, convert to SWx. I do understand the value of 3D modeling.

I can't really assign a salary dollar figure to it. But as I skim through resumes, anyone with a CSWP would immediately make to the "keep" pile.

Not sure if that helps you...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back