Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How Much is Leaking Out?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamChem

Chemical
May 9, 2002
US
I've done the keyword search; no dice. What I need is the 1) safest, and 2) cheapest way to determine the actual volume over time from fugitive emission sources such as valves, PRVs, flanges, et al in the field with an intrinsically safe instrument. So far, the only thing I've found near what I want is:

But that is one expensive piece of hardware, so any options you can throw my way are really welcome.

If I could get an analyzer capable of quantifying a few of the combustible gases from a mixed stream, that would just be gravy, but I think the cost is going to make that pure pipedream for right now.

Sam

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

SamChem:

See my answer to this same question that you posted elsewhere in thread127-148685 <== click here

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

I looked - reference figures for standard loss rates will be helpful for other US sites, but this one is foreign and in particularly bad shape. I need some form of monitoring analyzer to get actual field leak rates to show them how much money is being lost in the leakage.

That's what I thought, but some lines are at a rather high temperature, and the leaking gas is combustible. I'd rather not have anyone get hurt trying this, so I'm just trying to see if there is a better way. If there isn't a safer and cheaper way, I'll have to advise the expensive instrument.

Samchem:

Again, read my second response to this same question you asked esewhere at thread127-148685 <== click here

In that thread, I've discussed the original EPA bagging program and how long it took. I've also discussed Inspection & Maintenance (I & M) programs.

It is considered "bad form" to submit the same question in two different forums.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back