How much natural gas for burning ACID GAS in a thermal oxidizer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saver2008

Mechanical
Oct 14, 2008
MX
Hi!

I´m trying to calculate how much gas is required to burn 100% and destroy H2S from an acid gas. I do not know what considerations are required...I mean, if I need to achieve some temperature to destroy H2S or only having a combination of acid gas + helping gas and achieves a LHV of more than 1000 btu/ft3 ...something like this.

Thank you very much
Roland Saver

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

TO combustion chamber temp is usually 900degC. So you can calculate how much natural gas you have to add to your low btu acid gas stream to achieve this flame temp, assuming say 5% excess O2 in the flue gas.
Required inputs are the LHV of the acid gas stream, the LHV of the natural gas stream, and Cp values for N2, O2, CO2, and H20 vapor at ambient temp and 900degC. Write out the chemical reaction for combustion of H2S to SO2 to start with. Ask a chemical engineer or chemist to help if not familiar or not sure. Someone on E-Tips may help to check your completed calcs if required.

The amount of natural gas is really determined by the air flow and the requirement to heat it to at least 1400F. Adding acid gas that has any caloric content to to the air will then reduce the amount of natural gas needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back