Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How much should I charge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesfd

Mechanical
Mar 30, 2005
US
So I'm a full time SW user at my company on salary. Someone called me and asked if I'd do a side project for a product presentation and a patent aplication. I have no idea what to charge him. I get a weekly salary for my normal job and I have no idea what the going rate is for creating a solid model and presentation. The job looks pretty easy compared to what I'm normaly asked to do but I don't want to sell myself short or decrease the value of what we all do.....
Any ideas would be great, thanks

JD

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hey thanks for the help (and advise). My employer is pretty loose with letting use use company owned equipment for personal use. Since they can't really pay us what we really should be making, it's sort of a benny that works out for everyone. Seems like the the going rate is +/-$35perhr with conditions.....
Thanks everyone

I think it really depends on what you're doing. It sounds as if you are designing and engineering a project. Modeling or drawing an old part/assembly is one thing, but if you are designing/engineering and you are a PE, you can charge more....be aware of future liability issues though, especially if there are any safety concerns with the product. People will bring a lawsuit over anything......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back