Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How old is too old ? (to begin a BS in ME) ? 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

noen

Mechanical
Dec 18, 2005
US
After a misdirected youth I'd like to go back to school and pursue a BS in either Mech. or Materials.
I'd be 38 at graduation. Too old? Be honest, I can take it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Engineering was my third major career path. I graduated with a BS in engineering when I was in my mid forties. No problems finding a job. I am PE at this time and believe that my age and past experience was more of an advantage than a disadvantage.

GO FOR IT!! Particularly if you are sufficiently clear that it's what you want to do.

My wife is finishing up her residency at age 44.

I recall reading a news story about a woman who passed the bar at age 77.

TTFN

I say go for it also. It is also a big plus if you already have either Mech. or Materials experience.
Good luck!

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
SolidWorks 06 4.1/PDMWorks 06
AutoCAD 06
ctopher's home (updated 06-21-06)

I strongly suggest that you try before you buy. In particular you may find that maths is your biggest headache, so grab a decent engineering maths textbook and see how you go. I like Advanced Engineering Mathematics by Kreyszig, but then I'm weird. Schaum Outlines are cheaper and have more examples and are more focussed.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

Good idea from Greg. Try it. You can also sign up for an online course that is self paced, to give you an idea of what some classes are.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
AutoCAD 06

Never too old to chase your dreams.

Mr. Locock has a good suggestion, though, upon which I'll expand. If you have an engineering university nearby, investigate their curriculum through their catalog. Then check out the bookstore for the textbooks you will be using. "Advanced Engineering Math" is only one of ~30 classes that will be required for a 4-year degree. Then go surfing the net on Monster.com & others to see what companies are actually hiring engineers to do. My personal philosophy after surviving a graduate engineering program is that (1) a BS degree teaches one how to solve problems and therefore engineers are problem solvers, and (2) industry is chock-full of problems and will always need problem solvers. You may really enjoy problem solving and occasionally find an engineering job quite rewarding. You'll have a decent lifestyle but you will probably never get "wealthy".

Mr. Locock: why oh why did you have to cite "Kreyszig" ? Aaauuuuggghhhhh! I thought I buried that painful memory years ago! The pages of my copy of Kreyszig still has the blood stains from when my head exploded.

TygerDawg

noen

How old will you be in 6 years if you don't go back to school?

Still 38.

Are you worried that companies won't hire a new grad who's 38? Mine does all the time.

Don't know where you live, but in many parts of the States there are community colleges (or 2 year colleges.) Often these will offer classes at night. You can take a class - in math(s), if you want - and see how you do while you're still doing your regular job.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

Noen,
I graduated when I was 38 with a BS in EE. I found my maturity level to be an advantage for me. I had flunked out of college at 19.

To be honest, with the exception of the maths (which perhaps I am overemphasising), I can't see any disadvantage academically in being an older student. You are better motivated, better organised and (I am quite sure) less hungover than the normal age students.

The trick is going to be lining up a job afterwards. If you can figure that out beforehand then you'll be way ahead of the game.

TD, just to make you even sadder I have two copies of Kreyszig, one on each desk. Now I'll remember your note each tme I open them, and get an even odder reputation - "he laughs when he opens maths books"

Cheers

Greg Locock

Please see FAQ731-376 for tips on how to make the best use of Eng-Tips.

One of my Dad's (engineering professor) students graduated at 69.

He retired from his sales career, and started college 2 weeks later. Graduated in 4 years with a BS in Engineering Physics. I think he got a MS in Applied Physics @ 71... and continued schooling. My dad actually lived across the hall from him in an apt the year before he started school.

Wes C.
------------------------------
No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

You're not too old, we had a number or 'mature students' on my course at Uni. They usually put us 'immature' students to shame in both effort and results.

The only 2 real considerations I can think of are:

Are you really sure you want to do it, the 'try before you buy' idea would help with this one.

The second is the financial. Can you do it in a way where the finanical payback once you graduate compensates for the cost, and potentially lost income while you do it. Obviously if you're indepentantly wealthy and doing it for ***** & giggles then not an issue.:)

Neon,

It's never to late to pursue an educational goal. I graduated at age 28. My wife will graduate at age 38. I say go for it.

Best Regards,

Heckler
Sr. Mechanical Engineer
SW2005 SP 5.0 & Pro/E 2001
Dell Precision 370
P4 3.6 GHz, 1GB RAM
XP Pro SP2.0
NVIDIA Quadro FX 1400
o
_`\(,_
(_)/ (_)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.

neon,

I would agree you should go for it. Alot of good advice here. I graduated at 31 (not quite 38). At school there was a club for "Non-Traditional Students" and the oldest one in the group was in his early fifties. I do believe your maturity can be an asset.

Rik

I'm almost 43. My job pays 100% of schooling. I'm going back very soon. I don't think it's too old.
At 38, you still have approx 25 years until retirement.

Chris
Systems Analyst, I.S.
AutoCAD 06

It depends entirely on YOU. What is the driving force behind your motivation to pursue the degree? How much of your life are you willing to sacrifice? Can you afford it? Do you LIKE it? How are your math skills?

If you want a good taste of what the schooling with be like. Sign up for an online EIT/FE study aid like and start working the EIT practice problems. Because working those problems is how your gonna spend most of your time pursueing such a degree. You also need to test your math skills.

I am thirty and after studying for the EIT for the past couple of months. I know there is no way I would want to start pursueing an engineering B.S. degree. I am happy I did it, and happy with my career, but I couldn't do it again. Everyone is different and if its something you are willing to sacrifice for, etc... go for it!! However, I would not encourage you to pursue the degree if you think it promises big dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back