Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How old of a Mill test certificate can be accepted for a project?

Status
Not open for further replies.

petemen10024

Mechanical
Apr 12, 2016
KW
I am currently on a structural steel project. And the vendor submitted MTC for the metareials to be used for this project. And I found that the date in the MTC is about four to five years back. When I raised my concern the vendor responded that they're using the material that is available with them but how old of the material and test certificate be approved ???

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My concern would be the traceability, regardless of the age of the Cert.

From AISC: "Traceability is not a requirement in the AISC Specification and, when required, must be clearly specified in the contract documents prior to the ordering of material."

I get a lot of bogus MTR's also. Tight specs are mandatory.

The bogus (and other) certs were all part of the construction documents and they went wherever those go when the project's finished.
You can usually spot bogus certificates. Maybe it's just practice? Or I just wind up with the bogus contractors.

There are many reasons for using materials supported by older MTRs that are not bogus; e.g., cancelled orders, large inventory, economic downturns, etc. Just think about the recent downturn in the oil drilling industry and the excess tubular steel manufactured prior thereto.

Of course, if you are concerned about the legitimacy of the MTR, you could send some samples of the material to be analyzed at a certified lab. It will cost you though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back