Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How removing the sulfur in butane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

consilience1

Petroleum
Jul 31, 2006
KR
Dear everyone

In my crude distillation plant, butane is rundown through the MEROX system which is for removing sulfur contents in butane to pass the caustic extractor to make disulfide from hydrogen sulfide, and this disulfide(RSSR) is removed to be separated from caustic flow. By the way, if there is mono-sulfide(RSR) in crude oil originally , RSR is remained in butane finally because it is not to be reacted in that MEROX system, so it might be problem on the regulation of sulfur standard in butane. Could you let me know a way to remove sulfur contents of 40 ~ 80 ppm in butane?

Regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hydro-treating or Molesieves. Merichem I think has come up with some ways to lower the sulphur in Butanes in MEROX type systems.

There are also a variety of solid absorbents that can be used in that ppm range with fixed bed absorbers. Sulfatreat, Johnson Matthey, Unicat, etc.. have options. The flow rate and ppm are the determiner in any case on what type of system is the most economical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back