Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How should i manufacture a car badge? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drivefast

Automotive
Dec 21, 2007
US
My boss would like me to create an intricate badge that will be placed on a line of cars he is introducing. The badge is a a national flag that contains the cars name beside it. We will only be making 100 or so and I don't know if it will be cost effective to mold them out of plastic. I considered making it out of two peaces of aluminum. The top peace could have the letters and colored parts of the flag lasered thru and the bottom peace would be painted to act as a contrasting backstop. Do you have any other suggestions on how I can have this made cheaply?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

For that volume, lost-wax casting probably makes sense.

Make one as you propose, or with sink-EDM and use that to make some rubber molds which in-turn get used to make wax cores.

Or just have 100 cores "printed" via stereo-lithography and use them directly as cores.

drivefast,

Contact someone who makes sports trophies. I have seen some metal badges with logos of the ski club I belong to. They look good. I do not know how they did it.

JHG

Does it need to be coloured?

Some kind of laser etching might work.

Or either drawoh or IRstuff suggestions aren't bad.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

For that lot size, I might consider using a CNC mill to hog the parts out of aluminum plate and cut all the recessed detail, then color anodize the parts, then sand/buff the top to bare white metal, and seal with lacquer.

Talk to a color anodizer before taking my advice; they bring some amazing stuff to trade shows.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

We put our company logo on little cassettes that measurement tips for our tools go in. I think they're aluminium and they use laser etch. You end up with similar effect to what Mike's proposing.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

Being a geocacher I would look for a manufacturer of "geocoins". They are purchased by individuals and very often made on request in small amunts. On EBay you can see how they look like; type "geocoin" in google for some links.

If you want to try injection molded plastic, contact protomold.com. You provide the CAD model and they do it quickly and relatively low cost. Probably less than whittling them all from solid.

I'm not affiliated with Protomold but have used their service.

electroform: very nice, super sharp detail created in basically heavy plated solid copper or nickel. Affordable as they're hollow backed. Printed and/or painted after.

Dome it: most label, decal or membrane switch manufacturers make these sort of vanity labels. Basically a printed substrate, your graphics, then a dome of clear elastomer is poured on top. Numerous vehicles, like the Neon, use this method.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back