Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How soon after being hired should employees be allowed to check dwgs.?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ral72

Materials
Sep 16, 2005
US
My Engineering Dept. has 2 newly hired Engineers, right out of college. They've both been on board for about 2 months.

I got an email this morning from one of them, requesting to be added to the list for checking/approving our drawings in our electronic format. I, in turn, emailed our Engineering Manager, who said it was OK, but it got me thinking...

What is the protocol for allowing new hires to be able to check/approve manufacturing drawings? I would think that it's something that varies from company to company, but I just wanted to get some thoughts/comments/feedback from others.

Thank you,
Rodger

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not sure there is an official industry standard that applies but this may be of interest to you:

thread1103-193286

The 2 newly hired engineers probably aren't qualified to create drawings let alone check other peoples.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

New graduates can learn lots of new material within the first few years. I advocate recent grads to review drawings. Still I would suggest about six years for checking.

General consensus of the thread I linked was 10 years minimum.

However that was for drafting to ASME Y14.100 so basically mechanical machine design (including defense & aerospace etc.)

If you're in the construction business, then that thread may not be applicable.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back