Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How tight can I bend A36 3/4" Plate? 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lizard7709

Civil/Environmental
Jul 29, 2008
US
I'm looking to bend A36 3/4" plate and I want to find out how tight I can bend it without having any problems. Ideally I'd like to bend it so the inside radius is about 1.125".

Is there a rule of thumb when it comes to how tight bends can be on plates like this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Lizard

This was from google & are basic principals.

" Bends
· Bends should be toleranced plus or minus one-half degree at a location adjacent to the bends.
· For the ease of manufacturing, multiple bends on the same plane should occur in the same direction.
· Avoid large sheet metal parts with small bent flanges.
· In low carbon steel sheet metal, the minimum radius of a bend should be one-half the material thickness or 0.80 mm (0.03 inch), whichever is larger.

Flanges
· The minimum height of a bent flange is directly related to the material thickness, bend radius, and length of bend.
· The minimum width of a bend relief is one material thickness or 1.50 mm (0.06 inch), whichever is greater. "

Your at 1-1/2 x thickness of the gauge. which should be good. Material is at 20% elongation so that is good too.
Hardness is soft 68 HRb that is also good.
Material bends best when annealed.

find a vendor with the capacity to bend that large of gauge, & obtain their concurence.

MfgEngGear

A good rule of thumb for A36 would be that the radius should be at least 1x material thickness, as stated above. Call your local plate fabricator to see what radius punch they have. Ask them if they want you to determine the flat pattern; most of the time the fabricator wants to determine the flat pattern based on their punch geometry and you are just wasting your time to develop a flat pattern.

Your Vee die opening ideally should be 8T or 6" meaning your flange will be about 3" tall. Bending across the grain is best practice especially if you are approaching 1T bend radius. You can also warm bend the part and make even a tighter radius.

T = material thickness

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back