Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Acquire Demo Version of Fortran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nhelzki

Mechanical
Jun 11, 2010
PH
Hello all!!! How can we acquire a demo version or evaluation version of Fortran? Is it available in the internet? I want to study how to program the stiffness matrix method for evaluating forces and moments on the structure....Thanks in advance...Cheers!!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

There are quiet a few free ones: gfortran, g95 and silverfrost (or salford). Silverfrost is quite slow if it is a big number crunching app but it makes up for that by having a reasonable IDE.

The evaluation ones are Intel (you will need at least a P4 or a dual core otherwise it won't even install), Lahey.

"Silverfrost is quite slow" - ummm, I've found silverfrost to be siginficantly faster than g95 and gfortran on pure number crunching tasks! (I don't believe the figures on timnings published by polyhedron software are correct)

Thanks guys for that valuable input...Another question fellows...Is silverfrost capable of doing routines for numerical computation using matrix such as gaussian elimination, inversing matrix, transforming matrix of the form Ff=T^T*Qf?..Thanks in advance for your time...Cheers...I am studying to program analysis of structures using matrix stiffness method linearly at the moment...

Re: Silverfrost - I'm writing about the version from 4 years back. Back then, it ran about 3-4 times slower than G95 (both running on W2K on a P120 with 32Mb). Maybe the new version is a lot faster.

Nhelzki - Fortran doesn't have built in libraries for the stuff you want. You need to go to a site like If you're doing lots of simultaneous equations, use Choleski (or LU decomposition). It is a lot faster than any of the Gaussian techniques, especially for big matrices.

You could always use the Matlab type tools like freemat if want to get the algorithm right first. Unlike Fortran, FreeMat has most of the stuff you require built in. Only problem is it is quite slow. It leaves you time to concentrate on the problem rather than the programming. Once you've fixed the problem, and you want a faster solution, translate to Fortran for speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back