Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to anchor a part in an assembly 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emissivity

Mechanical
Oct 27, 2005

Does anyone know how to anchor a part in an assembly after a step file conversion?

I've converted a vendor assembly from a step file and I'm trying to re-create constraints. However when I try mating two parts, both of the parts will move out in the workspace. I would like to anchor or fix one part in space and start mating parts to it.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm surprised that when you mate from one component to another component it moves. It should move the "from" component to the "to" component. If they both are moving, sounds like a bug. But it is difficult to say without seeing it. A work around would be to create 3 datum planes in the assembly part then mate the component to that and all the rest of the components to that part.

-Dave
PLM Exchange

Thanks Dave! I was hoping it would be easy as in 2-clicks of the right mouse button, but your method works well for what I need to do.

Note that in NX 5 you have the option to either 'fix' or leave unfixed the first component placed in an assembly since in NX 5 the concept of first or second is meaningless. In NX 4 and earlier releases, mating components was in a FROM -> TO sense, while in NX 5 it will be a BETWEEN <-> approach. That way you can just create your constraints without any 'fixed' object or you can change the 'fixed' object anytime you wish. This will provide much more flexiblity and will reduce the problems that order sometimes gave you as well was virtually eliminating the chances of getting 'circular references'.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

I don't know what you mean by 'again' as if has been years since we mess with the assembly solver. We are replacing our own home grown solver with one based on D-Cubed, and yes that is also a complete overhaul of the Dialogs, the Constraint Navigator as well as Reposition Component. Besides adding more powerful tools, we've tried to simplify the presentation and the workflow.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

The actual constraint solver has been unchanged since UG V10.0, but that last major change to the User Interface for Assembly Mating (as it appears today in NX 4) was with the release of UG V17.0., which was in October 2000. So by the time NX 5 hits the streets, it will have been 6 1/2 years, an eternity in the software business, since the last major change and then is was just to the UI (models did not need to be updated as they will need to be when going from NX 4 ot NX 5).

So that was why I commented on the 'again' comment ;-)

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product "Evangelist"
NX Product Line
UGS Corp
Cypress, CA

After using Catia V5 (3500 hours), I am reminded that UG is still the best. The constraints functions in Catia are very unpredictable and often crash or generate errors for no reason. Sometimes you open the file and things are floating in space, having lost the constraint completely.
Too bad Catia is taking over the aerospace industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back