Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to apply load on an edge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BrianE22

Specifier/Regulator
Mar 21, 2010
US
I'm just starting with Solidworks Simulation. I thought I'd do a simple cantilever beam. The "wizard" doesn't allow me to apply a load to the end of the beam. It seems to allow only pressures on faces. So, how do you apply a load on the edge of a cantilever beam?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

How would you apply the load to an edge in real life?

You can use a split line to create a thin sliver of a surface at the end of the beam and apply the load over that.

Are you using Simulation Xpress or full on Solidworks Simulation?

We've since learned how to get the full Simulation Profesional working (via the Add-Ons). I'm now able to put a load on a line. Simulation Express must be the basic offering available with the CAD package.

Simulation Express nothing more than a marketing gimmick, it's a way for the sales representatives to claim SolidWorks has 'simulation' capabilities in every seat.

Even though it really only start with Simulation Standard, which is included with the highest version of SolidWorks, SolidWorks Premium. Then there are the dedicated Simulation packages Simulation Professional and Simulation Premium, which give you more capabilities.

Certified SolidWorks Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back