Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to apply material and density in a solid part?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hibaby53

Mechanical
Jun 12, 2009
IN
Hi!

I am novice.

Can anyone say that how to apply parameters such as material, density.... in UG NX4.

Thank you

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try Tools>Material Properties and if you could at that stage hit F1 for the documentation then you'll get a better explanation than what I offer in words. What you access is a material library which applies density to your solids.

The library of materials is modest but reasonably useful. You can add to it if you wish but in order to do so you will need to carefully edit a series of files in ways that are also a little complicated to explain without being certain that you'll need to do so.

If you have an Advanced Assemblies licence you'll be better able to use weight management which is found under File>Properties and the Weight tab. You can update the weight calculation for each file enable that it will be updated and saved when the file is saved each time. Those settings can also be enabled permanently under the customer defaults.

There is a separate set of materials used to change the appearance of objects in renderings as well an the two are not linked. It is to be found under View>Visualisations>Materials/Textures and comes into its own if you have the higher quality rendering available with some licence bundles.

As I understand it neither set of defaults is linked to the setting of mechanical properties for some of the engineering strength solvers. This is something I'm less personally familiar with but I have seen some discussion on here about plans to change some of that. So it may vary from one version to then next.

Best Regards

Hudson

www.jamb.com.au

Nil Desperandum illegitimi non carborundum

To change density: <edit><feature><solid density> from the pull down menus... change the mat'l density to what's appropriate.

I've never played w/materials... traditionally, we only ensure that the material density is correct.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
SS

CAD should pay for itself, shouldn't it?

If you use the...

Tools -> Material Properties...

...function not only will the density be properly set, but so will all of the material information needed by any of the CAE applications. In addition, both a Part and an Object attribute will be created for the Material name, so that when creating Assembly Parts Lists you can have a Material column and the assigned material names will be included.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Thank you for ur tips.

I got it...

I tried

edit->feature->solid density->apply appropriate density-> ok->select object->ok->file->properties->weight tab.

and i have another question..

if i wanna find the area of the complicated surface...

is there any way?

Note that the...

Edit -> Feature -> Solid Density...

...approach, while it still works, is no longer the recommended way to go. It's basically an old fashioned function where you had to explicitly enter the value for the specific density of the desired material. The workflow I recommended uses a material database which will set not only the Specific Density, but also the material specs needed to support CAE applications as well as assigning Material attribute data suitable for use in Parts Lists and where other automated text values are needed.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back