Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to Array a Swept

Status
Not open for further replies.

roughwood

Automotive
Sep 25, 2003
US
When trying to array a swept feature it wont allow it. When looking at the list the feature isnt even there. The only way I have found so far to do this is to delete its parameters and then array it, but the part needs to be edited easily. I have been using insert>free form feature> Swept. I figure perhaps I could make this a component, then do a component array, but it would mess up the whole assembly structure. Anyone know of a way around all this mess?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't think anything is as hard to do and as annoying on UG as patterning.
In order to get your pattern group the feature by right clicking on the Model Navigator and choose Group Feature.
Enter a name for the group such as Sweep_Array and hit OK.
You can add other features if needed such as cuts and they will pattern along with the group.

Now you'll see the Group features name in the pattern feature dialog.
If you are doing a rotational pattern I find it better to create a dependant axis instead of using Cylindrical Face because the second method will make a temporary point for the pattern center which will not be parametric.

Michael
[3eyes]

BELCAN AETD - LYNN, MA
advanced_engineering_technology.jpg

are you talking about instance? basically array.
to instance a feature that feature has to be united to the main solid, well with my experiances anyway, circuler or rectangular.
then select instance
select circular array
now select the feature you want to array
then give the angle and number of instances
now you have to use point and direction or datum axis
if you created your datums plains when you first started the model this will not be a problem.
you can go to insert/form feature/datum plane and hit apply and it will create 3 datum plains and 2 datum axis's
but this must be done when you first create the part before any solids are present.
hope this helps

designer gooroo
catia v5
unigraphics nx
pro-e wildfire
ideas v10
autocad 2004

MJCOLE THANKS FOR THE HELP, WORKED GREAT. I REALLY NEED TO LEARN MORE ABOUT GROUPING, I NEVER USED IT BEFORE THIS WEEK BUT THIS IS THE 3RD TIME IVE NEEDED IT.

CHEERS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back