Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to ask my boss for extra days off for study! 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

indy1687

Aerospace
Mar 10, 2005
IE
Hi guys,
I have just started a new engineering job (about four months, fresh graduate) and have also start studying to become a tax advisor. It’s a three year program, the study that is.
The tax exams touch on accounting, law and how companies operate. I hope to use the skills I learn for the tax exams to get a position, in my current company, in a half financial/engineering role (management).

I haven’t told my boss that I have started this outside work hours. I wasn’t to sure about it because the study has nothing to do with my job or career at present and I just started my job. I didn’t want him to think I wasn’t committed. The company itself supports further education of its employees.

I am coming up to my first set of exams and want extra days off work to prepare. I now have to tell my boss about the study. The problem is how do I my boss in such a way (tell him the benefits in the future) about the study that he gives me extra days off work?

Also, am I worried over nothing and should I have told him on day one?

I would be grateful for any assistance!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Our company policy states that anything done outside of work that would affect your ability to do your current job has to be disclosed to your manager, other jobs, school, volunteer work. They have always been good about working with me especially if it will eventually benefit the company.

I would tell them first and then ask for time off to study but be prepared take some personal days. You could not tell them and take the personal days but I think that something like this can only be beneficial if disclosed and can end up biting you if kept secret.

As it has nothing to do with your current job, it is nothing to do with your current boss and the company. It is your private business, but that means it should be entirely on your private time.

If this crosses into work hours you need to take official leave from the leave due to you.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

I regularly use vacation time to study for exam (or take those dreaded 24 hour exams). The company has no problem with it. Of course, what I do on my vacation days is not generally their concern.

Unfortunately, I don't consider taking exams to be an optimal way of using vacation time. Spending time on the beach in Hawaii would be a far better use of my time!

Cedar Bluff Engineering

Alternatively

1 Start tape recorder

2 Walk into boss' office and say to him "Please will you give me some paid time off to study for exams so I can get a job not working for you any more?"

3 Allow events to transpire

4 Switch tape recorder off

5 Upload tape recording to that we can hear it.

Cheers

Greg Locock

I rarely exceed 1.79 x 10^12 furlongs per fortnight

I like Greg's approach...just be sure to leave the recorder on long enough so that we hear the dull thud when you land on your a$$.

The problem is how do I my boss in such a way (tell him the benefits in the future) about the study that he gives me extra days off work?

Tell him:
I hope to use the skills I learn for the tax exams to get a position, in my current company, in a half financial/engineering role (management).

"Art without engineering is dreaming; Engineering without art is calculating."

Have you read faq731-376 to make the best use of these Forums?

"I didn't want him to think I wasn't committed."

You answered yourself in the first comment. How would your boss think anything else other than you not being committed if you're already studying for a completely different field after 4 months of engineering? If that's the path you want to take, more power to you, but you should keep it to yourself at your office and CERTAINLY not ask for extra days off to study for something completely unrelated to the job. It would be one thing if the company asked you to do this extra training because they want to groom you for management, but the way you describe it, you're doing it on your own.

I agree with most of what was already said. Keep your business your business and study on your own time (vacation, personal days, nights/weekends). You probably don't have vacation days yet, but that's not your boss's problem.

Also. . .

Your plan doesn't sound realistic to me.** I know from first hand experience, because I completed an MBA 3 years after I graduated. You won't be an experience enough engineer after 3 years to be in project management/engineering management. You *might* learn enough to have a business management position in accounting, finance, treasury, or something, but it would be a junior level role, not a managerial position, and it would most likely NOT be a dual engineering/business role.

If you like engineering, stick with that and you will progress to engineering management --> corporate management naturally over time. If you don't, then fine, seek out a "tax advisory" role, but don't expect to successfully straddle both.

**Disclaimer: My experience has been at big engineering firms, and I guess this could be dramatically different if you are one of a handful of engineers in a manufacturing company or somewhere where engineers are the minority and business types run everything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back