Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to automatically update a validated list

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmorri254

Computer
Jan 2, 2003
US
Can anyone tell me how to update a validated list automatically just by entering new data into the cell?
Example: If I have a list called servers, how can I add another server to that list?

Thanx

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

David,

The best way to do this (if you are entering new items on the worksheet manually) is to make sure you are within the current boundary of the named range ("Servers" in your example), right-click, select Insert... then Move cells down in the dialog. This will extend your named range automatically. Enter the new item in blank cell and the validation list will contain the new item. This makes it easy to place a new item into an existing order. The only tricky situation is if you want to add the new item to the bottom of the list. Select the current last item, insert a new cell as before, move the last item up into the blank cell then add the new item.

Regards,
Mike

You can save a step in the manual insertion by copying the last element and doing a "insert copied cells.." and the pasting the new item into the last cell.

TTFN

Okay...so I have created a data validation sheet and I have it hiden with'in the workbook.
What I would like to be able to do is add to this list from the worksheet itself and have those entires update the hiden data sheet. This way I don't have to hide and unhide the sheet when I need to add something.

Can anyone help me with coding this?

Thank you so much

David Morrison

David,
My validation lists are on the same worksheet as my data but this is how I did it, but I have to click on the button to run it.

Private Sub CommandButton1_Click()
Range("F4").Select
Selection.Insert Shift:=xlDown
newvar = InputBox("Enter your new variable here"):
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = newvar
Range("C5").Select
ActiveCell.FormulaR1C1 = newvar
End Sub

my list starts in cell F4 and the calling cell is C5.
if someone else can do it without clicking the button I will change my code...

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back