Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to avoid natural frequencies

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyforever85

Jun 22, 2010
US
I have a truss structure and I can't get rid of 3 modes of vibration. I tried different configuration, increase the thickness of the pipes, nothing seems to help. Is there a general rule to follow? I've been trying trial and errors so far, maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

So you are performing dynamic analysis (other than eigenfrequency extraction) and you want to avoid natural frequencies occuring in the range of excitation, right ? Or is it eigenfrequency simulation where you want to get different modes ?

Anyway, to modify natural frequencies you can follow the simple equation for eigenfrequency of 1 DOF system: f=√(k/m). This tells you that you have to change stiffness or mass (density) to get different natural frequencies. As you can see from the equation to increase f you have to increase stiffness or decrease mass. Another option is to use optimization to get desired frequencies.

It's actually eigenfrequency problem. I have to stay away from three specific frequency and unfortunately the structure still has natural modes in these frequency ranges so I was wondering if there was a rule to apply in order to change the structure and avoid the modes. I case it depends on case by case.

If the first approach (changing stiffness and/or mass by modifying geometry) still doesn’t give you desired effect then I think it would be best to try with optimization. It can modify geometry in such way that selected eigenfrequencies will be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back