Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to be a good concrete structure designer ? (career advise) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shazeb Mirza

Structural
Apr 4, 2020
PK
Hi , my name is shazeb mirza and i am a civil engineering graduate.

i want some piece of advise from the senior members on
[ul]
[li][/li]
[/ul][highlight #FCE94F]"how to be a good concrete structure designer?"[/highlight]

[ul]
[li][/li]
[/ul] on early career stages can i get into market as a designer ?

i am very confused about picking a specialty/major , i want to get in structure design but than i think that atuniversity i used to suck on the designing subjects i wonder i could be a good designer or not but i really really want to be a structural designer of concrete.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think that most engineers start out that way; there are few who have that innate "knack" for designing without doing lots of analysis, but the rest of us just slog through the design. I've only met a couple such people; one guy walked into a meeting, glanced at the screen-shot of the design of a fixture and asked, "Isn't that going to have a resonance around 30 Hz, or so?" The MEs were chagrined when their FEA, later on, showed a 32-Hz resonance. But, my point here is that those other MEs were still gainfully employed, even though they couldn't "feel" that their designs were off; they had to simulate to find such things. And, hopefully, learned from that encounter.

Much also comes from experience; I think there's a tendency in some to fear that phase of real-world learning and want to scurry back into academics, to "prepare" themselves better, but that's an elusive, and illusory, goal. The real world is huge, and not readily containable in a single textbook, or even several textbooks.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back