Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to become a CVE 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

heinessen

Aerospace
Nov 15, 2015
KR
This is very ambiguous question but I hope sombody here could answer my question.
Recently, I heard that there is a CVE (Certification Validation Engineer) who could approve engineering data for aircraft under EASA regulation.
To the best of my knowledge, CVE is similar to DER and someone can be a CVE although he is not EU citizen.
I am now working at airline company as a cabin engineer and performed a few modification programs with engineering company.
But We have no DER or CVE, so I cannot get any information about how to become a CVE.
I would like to develop my career as an engineer and would like to know how to become a cabin CVE.
Is there anyone who knows detail steps to become a CVE and what qualification is required for CVE?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think the easiest starting point is to read the EASA website. Under the "aircraft and products" page, you will see many links to design organization approvals (DOA) and continuing airworthiness requirements, which will lead you to requirements of companies and engineers who intend to carry out this work.
I may be wrong, but the term "CVE" does not sound very common. Perhaps it's a re-translation of another term that I'm more familiar with. Perhaps peculiar to one company's organization. If EASA uses the term, then it will have a very specific definition which you will find in their regulatory information.

And they do publish a lot of regulatory information.

STF

CVE actually stands for “Compliance Verification Engineer”, it is an independent checking function of the showing of compliance. Similar to some of the Administrative DER duties here in the U.S. FAA system. They perform a check that all regulations in the Certification Plan have been complied with, and that the Cert Plan was appropriate in the first place. But different in approving test plans and reports. In the FAA/U.S. system, that is specifically delegated to a DER/UM/AR or retained by the FAA.

At one time I was the CVE for a European ODA, it actually helped that I was a U.S. DER (and previously an Administrative DER). The role was highly advisory, a “consigliere” if you will. Likewise, you will need to be a “soldato” first. It’s pretty lofty to go for CVE right away, my suggestion would be to first try for a Design Engineer position in a DOA. Aircraft interiors will get you a lot of good experience, with seating, lighting, oxygen, and entertainment/connectivity systems. And probably more flammability than you may care for.

The specific requirements will be spelled out in the ODA company’s Handbook, but the general concept is here:

If you do not have any DOA personnel in you own company, perhaps you can shadow employees at your supplier companies. Good luck with it!

I hold CVE/DAE signatories for EASA. I can tell you its not easy to get these delegations. But having a previous experience with design office (DO) can help a lot. There is no specific qualification as such (I mean exams), however right kind of experience matters.

Guys, Specially CVE holders
Can you guys help me to step by step guidance to get CVE certification, i mean is there any option available to go, by paying fees and get trained on the subject and that company/DOA firm helps us for their recommendation or nomination to file the CVE certification formality to EASA to obtain the certification, so we can apply for CVE positions, same like B1/B2 license .....pls correct me if i am wrong kindly help me its very crucial for me at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back