Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to become an AHJ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bagge

Mechanical
Mar 11, 2008
DK
Hi Guys,
I was wondering if there is a friendly soul in this forum that could please help me with my curiosity? I'm from Denmark, and I have a question about AHJ's. The question is; Which requirements should you need to become an AHJ in the states? I'm not asking because I would like to become one, but only because of curiosity.

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Nikolaj

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wow which AHJ do you mean?????, see below, and let us know.

3.2.2* Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). An organization,
office, or individual responsible for enforcing the requirements of a code or standard, or for approving equipment, materials, an installation, or a procedure.

A.3.2.2 Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). The phrase “authority having jurisdiction,” or its acronym AHJ, is used in NFPA documents in a broad manner, since jurisdictions and approval agencies vary, as do their responsibilities. Where public safety is primary, the authority having jurisdiction may be a federal, state, local, or other regional department or individual
such as a fire chief; fire marshal; chief of a fire prevention bureau, labor department, or health department; building official; electrical inspector; or others having statutory authority. For insurance purposes, an insurance inspection department, rating bureau, or other insurance company representative may be the authority having jurisdiction. In many circumstances, the property owner or his or her designated agent assumes the role of the authority having jurisdiction; at government installations, the commanding officer or departmental official may be the authority having jurisdiction.

Fire Sprinklers Save Firefighters’ Lives Too!

In Denmark it is thus that the local Fire Marshall does not have the necessary competency to approve the sprinkler system.
Therefore, there are independent companies that have the necessary expertise to advise the Fire Marshall. So-called accredited inspection companies. And it is those who qualify as AHJ in Denmark. These are the AHJ I mean. Is it also this way in the U.S.? And what education and experience requirements are there for the inspectors who are employed in these inspection companies?

Bagge

Sounds like you are asking two questions.

The fire marshal in you r area is still tjhe AHJ, because he has the power.

the other question it sounds like is how to you get hired by a company to review fire sprinkler plans.

Not sure what is required in your country, but either on the job training, school, Nicet certification:::
would advise calling a private company and ask them

I'll take a stab here for our curious friend.

For other than federal work (military and federal government owned installations) it is the individual 50 states that have exercise jurisdiction and in a number of states individual counties and towns can have their own individual requirements.

Picture all of Europe combined into one a common union (EU like) while each continuing to exercise control over their own building codes.

Some states like Ohio, New York and California have very tough reviews and requirements while others (I won't name any) the word lax is an understatement.

I recently had a project of two 70,000 sq ft warehouses with fire pump and resevoir where nobody wanted to see my drawings. Approval not required... we just did it. I've had other jobs where the AHJ required full drawings with calculations to install one sprinkler in a new entry vestibule. Full drawings meant just that, I had to show everything on the existing system to "make all conditions clear". Cost of the job was $2,100... $300 for the work and $1,800 for the drawings, permits and plan approvals. The guys spent four hours with the actual installation while I spent nearly a week preparing the drawings.

So you got those two extremes and everything in between.

As far as plan reivew I've had plans reviewed by a highly qualified engineer to a volunteer fire department firefighter with pitiful little knowledge.

It is almost embarrassing that the United States of America has an inconsistent and inadequate system for something this important. There are way too many AHJ who have been placed in the position with little of the knowledge, experience or training required to complete the many job functions. If these individuals were more focused on the end result and public safety, they would admit when they are dealing with a project or subject outside of their capabilities and force (yes, they do have the authority to require professional oversight) the various companies to hire independent contractors to evaluate/monitor/verify the project. I have stated for years that each state should pass a law which requires independent outside contractors to review plans, monitor project progress and perform official acceptance testing for all new projects performed in the USA..............almost everyone involved knows the current system is not very effective, but there is essentially no effort to improve monitoring or verification. I will agree that most states are doing a better job of ensuring fire protection system plans are developed by qualified people/companies (using NICET and other state guidelines), but there is so much more improvement which should be implemented to ensure the systems are properly installed and maintained.

In my honest opinion, 100% of the AHJ people I have personally met are trying to complete their job functions to the best of their abilities...........some simply do not know enough to realize they are in over their heads, many feel pressure to act like they are properly trained and almost all of them are between a rock and a hard place because the government has not provided them with the training and experience they need to properly and effectively perform the many job duties associated with the AHJ position! It is a difficult job and requires a very knowlegeable person with solid communication skills to perform the various duties; however, a more consistent process (with emphasis on the fact that the AHJ can request/require independent professional contractors when needed) could make the entire process much more effective.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back