Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to better format your Flat Pattern Annotation... 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnRBaker

Mechanical
Jun 1, 2006
US
I didn't want to hijack the Sheet Metal thread from earlier today but felt that users might be interested in this 'Tip' so I started a new one.

When you create a Flat Pattern in NX Sheet Metal and then place the special Flat Pattern view on your Drawing, automatic Annotation gets created which shows the manufacturing/forming information for each brake feature.

Normally these Annotations look like this:

Sheet-Metal_Annotation_Separate.jpg

But with a little creative editing of the Sheet Metal Customer Defaults, you can combine the three separate notes into a single Annotation which will look like:

Sheet-Metal_Annotation_Combined.jpg

This will make you Drawing look less busy and will also allow you more easily manipulate the Drawing objects for appearance sake since you can now more all three related pieces of Info as a single object.

All that you have to do is go to...

Customer Defaults -> Sheet Metal -> Flat Pattern -> Annotations

...simply Copy & Paste the 'Bend Angle' and 'Bend Direction' text from the 'Content' widgets in the 'Custom Callout 2' and Customer Callout 3' sections of the dialog and paste them into the 'Content' widget in the 'Custom Callout 1' section of the dialog so that if you were to list the contents of this widget it would look like:

Bend Radius = <!KEY=0,3.2@UGS.radius>
Bend Angle = <!KEY=0,3.2@UGS.angle>
Bend Direction = <!KEY=0,3.2@UGS.direction "UP" "DOWN">

You'll also notice that I replaced the lowercase "up" and "down" with UPPERCASE entries since I think this looks better on the final Drawing.

One last thing that you will need to do is that once you've update the 'Content' of the 'Custom Callout 1' (BTW, in my set-up I also changed the 'Name' used for 'Custom Callout 1' to 'Bend Properties' since that's more descriptive of what it now represents) you should go the other two 'Custom Callouts' and toggle OFF both the 'Available' and 'Enabled' options. This way ONLY the new 'Bend Properties' callout will be available to be placed on the Drawing.

Anyway, if you think this is helpful, give it a shot.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:
To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I changed this both in
customer defaults ->drafting ->view ->flat pattern annotations
as in
Customer Defaults -> Sheet Metal -> Flat Pattern -> Annotations

and neither of them seem to be doing anything.
Got any ideas?

P.S.: thanks a lot for the help, I've had my mind on changing this for a while now, but have never gotten around to it.

NX 7.5
Teamcenter 8

Make sure that the 'Custom Callout 1' section of Customer Defaults has both the 'Available' and 'Enabled' options toggled ON and that when you have your Sheet Metal part model open, that under...

Preferences -> Sheet Metal -> Flat Pattern Display

...that in the section at the bottom of the dialog that the name of the modified callout is toggled ON as well.

Also note that these settings have to be made BEFORE you create the Flat Pattern feature in your part model.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

John, I tried it in a new drawing and it worked there. I have some other (probably non-related) issues with old drawings which probably caused the problem.

Small question: why is this option available on 2 places? And what does the other one do?

NX 7.5
Teamcenter 8

I've made my annotation even shorter: I leave out as many words as possible, put everything in 1 line and translating the direction in our local language (=Flemish,Dutch)

<!KEY=0,3.1@UGS.angle><$s> <!KEY=0,3.2@UGS.direction "OP" "NEER">

So this could result in "90° OP" or "135° NEER"

A question for John:
Is there a way of redefining where the arrow attaches to the bend line? As it is now it's always attached to the center of the bend line and I can't find a way to change that.

Thanks

2x NX8.0.0.25 Mach Design
1x Solid Edge ST2

I got it to work in the flat pattern view in the master model, but when I add the flat pattern view to the drawing, there are no otions to tick on the new name of bend properties, only the 3 stand alone ones for direction, angle and radius, what am I doing wrong?

Best regards

Simon NX7.5.3 - TC 8

OK, what the software appears to be trying to do is equally space whatever the number of 'labels' that there are pointing to any one bend feature. In the case of my single 'label' it's centered. In the case of the three default labels they are at the so-called 'triple points'.

Now if you wish to move the the arrow to another location, at the moment you have to first delete the original leader-line, leave the edit dialog and then reselect the annotation when you can now add a new leader pointing to wherever you wish.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

@ John,

Maybe we can discuss this behavior during beta testing in Cypress...
I will remind myself ;-)

Greetings,
Frank

2x NX8.0.0.25 Mach Design
1x Solid Edge ST2

I'll be there. In fact, just this morning I penciled the dates on my calendar to make sure that I don't commit myself to some out-of-town activities.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

My fault, I hadn't modified the Drafting View settings (Doh!)

BTW we are doing some beta testing in the UK this year, I don;t suppose you'll be involved will you John?

Best regards

Simon NX7.5.3 - TC 8

late , but I tried in NX8.01,
issue -> in Drawings it doesn't work only in the modelling view
what is the reason?
thanks in advance

Simon, probably not as travel budgets are still a bit tight but I will make this promise, when and if I am back in the UK, I'll make it a point to stop in at your facility (I was there once, perhaps 12 or 14 years ago).

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
UG/NX Museum:

Go to File -> Utilities -> Customer defaults -- and find the attachement for next paths.. If you have same setting, you would be able to get what John is showing. Thanks!

Regards,

Arvind
Mechanical Engineer

UG 7.5.5.4 & TC8.3

"People can take everything from you except luck"

Arvind,
you don't have understand.
As you can see from my lasted attached image, in the red circle, I talk about 'stub lenght' that I would like as default.

Thank you...

Using NX 8 and TC8.3

OH I see. That is issue with Annotation Style..

Select the line (Click on RMB).. Select Style -> Line /Arrow -> Looks at "D" parameter and see it has required parameter.. Pls find the attachement for detail. Hope this was your issue.

Regards,

Arvind
Mechanical Engineer

UG 7.5.5.4 & TC8.3

"People can take everything from you except luck"

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=9536b6e1-a45c-479d-9ad9-8bc51b888eaa&file=Annotation_Style_issue.bmp
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back