Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

How to calculate curve for high viscosity liquid 22000cP viscosity chocolate syrup to be run?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pump_guy

Mechanical
Apr 6, 2024
IN
Hi All,

I have test results of a centrifugal pump run with water as fluid medium. However actual liquid to be pumped is Chocolate syrup with viscosity of 22000cP. So how do I account for high viscosity for converting water test results to high viscosity? I would appreciate your help.

Thanks so much!

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Really don't think centrifugal pumps work at that viscosity. Figure I've heard before now is max 600cP.

High viscosity like that needs PD pumps like gear pumps or screw maybe.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

What he said.

--Einstein gave the same test to students every year. When asked why he would do something like that, "Because the answers had changed."

I wouldn't use a centrifugal for that. Desmi, for one example, have a chocolate-specific gear pump; I'd look at something along that line, or a PC pump.

Is the syrup a Newtonian fluid?
How shear sensitive is it? (will high shear change its look or texture)
I have seen gear pumps, peristaltic pumps, progressive cavity pumps, AODD pumps, and disc pumps used for high visc fluids.

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
P.E. Metallurgy, consulting work welcomed

@Edstainless

Thank you all for your responses.

Yes disc pump will be used my apologies for mentioning Centrifugal pump. Do you have idea how disc pumps work?

Can we apply viscosity correction factor to Disc pump developed by HI for centrifugal pump?

Interesting.

disc pumps seem to be specially suited to very high viscosity low shear fluids / slurrys, etc.

e.g.
Essentially the discs whirl around, with or without slight ridges on them and use laminar flow / viscous drag to create flow from the centre to the outside. Some look like a centrifugal pump but without the impellors and just the discs.

Given that they work differently and with different fluids to those normally seen in centrifugal pumps, the answer is no IMHO. This level of viscosity is way above the limits of any correction factor.

I can't understand why you're not asking the vendors this question?

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Best advice so far is from LittleInch contact the pump vendor. You could have had an answer by now.

It is a capital mistake to theorise before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts. (Sherlock Holmes - A Scandal in Bohemia.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back