Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

How to calculate emissions from crude oil tank leak

Status
Not open for further replies.

OilBoiler

Chemical
Aug 5, 2003
US
Hi everyone,

I need to calculate emission of contaminants or hazardous materials resulting from a crude oil tank leak. I've been given the following information:

1. Components that are suspected to be present in reportable quantities during the incident,
2. Volume of oil that leaked
3. Weight percent of the components in the liquid and vapor fractions (not too exact, but some assumptions)

It seems that the emissions could be easily calculated given this information, but I was told that there is some kind of protocol to follow, since this is a reportable incident to the EPA. Does anybody know what is the procedure or any suggestions on how to calculate these emissions and in what units to report them?

Thanks,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The Handbook of Chemical Hazard Analysis Procedures, published by FEMA, DOT, and EPA, has a simple method for estimating Emission Rates from Liquid Pools. The vaporization rate is a function of wind speed, vapor pressure of the liquid, and the pool area.

HAZOP at

OilBoiler:

If it you are asking how to calculate the vaporization rate of a pool of liquid, then :

(1) Go to www.air-dispersion.com/source.html and select whether you want metric units or the customary USA units.

(2) Then select "Vaporization From Non-Boiling Liquid Pool"

(3) You will than find three different correlations, one f which is the method in the handbook referred to by OWG in his response to your posting.

Milton Beychok
(Visit me at www.air-dispersion.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back