Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

how to calculate heat load from ice rink?(refrigeration) 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mynameluce

Mechanical
Sep 10, 2023
TH
Ice Hockey Rink with 60.0 by 30.0 meters (196.9 ft × 98.4 ft) with a corner radius of 8.5 meters (27.9 ft). How do I calculate heat load for an Ice Hockey Rink refrigeration system? It doesn't has 1. transmission 2. infiltration 3. product 4. miscellaneous right? I found that it has 1. conduction 2. convection 3. radiation heat load is that correct?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I never had to design a refrigeration system for an Hockey Rink. There must be references available as it has been done many times before so I would check if I can find a reference for standard designs first before trying to reinvent the wheel. Otherwise I would consider convection of heat from the air above to the surface, conduction from the slab below, possibly covection/conduction from the side walls, radiation from things such as lights in the space, etc. I don't know if the people skating would add heat input due to friction of skates/hockey sticks/puck on ice, etc., and how to quantify it.

I suspect your heat load is dominated by the heat load required to chill the water down in a reasonable amount of time to create the ice in the first place.

Maybe the rink also needs a lot of air cooling to reduce water appearing on the surface?

Outdoor rinks I've seen often need a lot of water mopping during use.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

mynameluce said:
It doesn't has 1. transmission 2. infiltration 3. product 4. miscellaneous right?

Wrong.

1. Transmission: The ice is on top of something that is on top of the ground. The something might be insulation, maybe even very good insulation, but there is no perfect insulation.
2. Infiltration: If it's in a building then there is infiltration. I imagine that a hockey rink in Thailand must be in a building.
3. Product: The ice is your product. If the rink will always be frozen then this might not drive the capacity. If the rink will only be frozen when needed then it very well might.
4. Miscellaneous: Zamboni's shave off ice and spray water. If you haven't added that anywhere else then miscellaneous is a good place for it. What's your roof like? You might need to consider radiation from the underside of the roof to the ice. Are there any clerestory windows with a view of the ice? If yes then you will have solar loads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back